Need Help Making This Chocolate-Candy Cane Cake

Decorating By MommytoaSweetie Updated 25 Dec 2008 , 4:46am by MommytoaSweetie

MommytoaSweetie Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:49am
post #1 of 4

I found a yummy-looking recipe that doesn't seem too hard to make for Christmas dessert. I'm using this... http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/chocolate-candy-cane-cake-89652.aspx but I was thinking of using a different frosting rather than Cool Whip.

Would it work if I just used the recipe for vanilla buttercream frosting in my Betty Crocker cookbook but used peppermint extract instead of vanilla to make a mint icing?

I'd also like to do something similar with the decoration in the picture, but I don't know how they got the candycane pieces like that. Is there a trick to putting them on the side of the cake (and especially with that straight line to only have them on part of the cake)?

Also, how soon is too soon to make this for Christmas? If I baked the cakes Tuesday night and frosted them Wednesday during the day, would it be okay for Thursday in the evening? How would it be best to store the cake during the process (after it's finished, I'll put it on a cake server plate thing with a lid... should it go in the fridge?)?

Thanks so much for your help! I would really like to take a cake decorating class one day, but haven't had the chance yet and don't really know what I'm doing. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
peggysue415 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 4

I made this cake last week. You can use the Cool Whip or buttercream frosting. I like it with the cool whip. Put your candy canes in a zip lock bag and smash with a hammer or pan. I just take a hand full and press them on the sides of the cake. I found if you put the candy canes on top of the cake the colors run a little. The cake is easy to make and is so good. If you make it Tuesday or Wednesday and put in the fridge it will be great on Christmas day. Have a good holiday and enjoy the cake. thumbs_up.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 4

Making it today will be fine for Thursday.

I wouldn't try putting it on in a straight line I'd go up the entire side. or you can put a wax/parchment paper wrap around the area you do not want candy on and then apply.

No need to refridgerate the cake if you are using buttercream, if using a whipped topping look for a pastry pride or similar non dairy and you won't have to refridgerate that either.

Merry Christmas!

MommytoaSweetie Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 4:46am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for the help! I made it this morning/afternoon and it at least looks yummy... we'll try it tomorrow and see. icon_smile.gif Merry Christmas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%