Anyone Ever Make Caramel From Sweetend Condensed Milk?

Decorating By Someonesmommy Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 7:16am by Someonesmommy

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:01am
post #1 of 23

I always make caramel for ice cream topping by boiling a can of sweetend condensed milk for 3 hours in a pot of water. Yep thats right. Just peel the label off and plop in a big ol' pot of water and boil away. You do have to keep an eye to make sure the pot doesn't boil dry but it's very easy and YUMMY!!!

My question is.....how could I use this caramel to make a filling for cakes? It is very thick so Im not sure how I could spread it without tearing the cake.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

22 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:25am
post #2 of 23

I just did this for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I boiled mine for 4 hours though. I have to say, after cooling and tasting, I wasn't so sure I liked it. It was thick and definitely looked like caramel, but it tasted kind of like Carnation canned milk to me.

The next day however, after being refrigerated, it tasted a whole lot better and closer to actual caramel. I could see it working (for me) as filling in cupcakes perhaps.

As for your initial question...maybe using a piping bag with no tip??

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:40am
post #3 of 23

I did this a few years ago when the topic made the rounds. it was ok, but definitely not the same as a "Kraft" caramel. Wonder if there is another way?

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #4 of 23

I did the condensed milk caramel and then mixed it with caramel pudding. Used it as filling for a bridal show samples and people raved about it.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:48am
post #5 of 23

I did that for a chocoberry filling recipe that I got off of here. it was quite delicious!

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:00am
post #6 of 23

The name of this caramel filling is dulce de leche and instead of cooking it in the can you can cook it down using a double boiler for 2-3 hours. I have used it to fill cupcakes with success. I have not tried to fill a cake but if I were going to I would first put down a thin layer of buttercream, pipe a large dam with stiff consistency icing using an open coupler so the damn is nice and heavy. Good luck!!

Someonesmommy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:08am
post #7 of 23

Yeah, we always eat it after it's been in the fridge for a day or so. It always tastes better. I never thought about mixing it with caramel pudding before. I think that what Ill try.

Im making a dark chocolate cake with caramel filling with a coffee flavored fondant. It tasted so yummy cupcake wise I decided to make the full size version for a Christmas eve get together with family.

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:17am
post #8 of 23

I actually do this kind of filling for my cupcakes and cakes and everyone loves it. However, I do not make the caramel from scratch as you do. I buy the caramel already made in the can (dulce de leche). What I do is mix it with heavy whipping cream. I usually do 2 cans of dulce de leche for every 1 pint of heavy whipping cream. I think it makes it smoother, not so overly sweet, creamy but not thick. Just get it to the consistency that you want.

Ana

vanillafairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillafairy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:21am
post #9 of 23

yes that is dulce de leche and if you want a smoother consistency you can put it in the microwave for a few seconds

RAGDOLLCATS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RAGDOLLCATS Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #10 of 23

Funny you should ask..just finished stirring a batch for the last hour.But they are so worth it.Got the recipe from a friend who makes them every year for his Christmas boxes.Had a little left in the pan and covered pretzel sticks with it.
Merry Christmas

Someonesmommy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:41am
post #11 of 23

I've tried making "real" caramel before and burnt my self and dang near caught the kitchen on fire when it went over after adding the cream!!

Never again will I attempt that!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:09am
post #12 of 23

I have used the boiled sweetened condensed milk as both a cupcake filling and a cake filling. Despite it being boiled for close to 4 hours and it being plenty thick, it of course sank into the layers of almond cake. It tasted wonderful, but I did read on another forum that the trick to using it as a filling in cake is first to smear a thin layer of icing on the cake layers, then add the dulce de leche on that. The buttercream will act as a barrier to keep it from sinking into the cake layers. Obviously, you would want to use a very stiff dam of icing such as what Sugarshack recommends. icon_smile.gif

Someonesmommy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:13am
post #13 of 23

To make the dam stiff do I just add more powdered sugar?

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:14am
post #14 of 23

Yep! icon_smile.gif

Someonesmommy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:15am
post #15 of 23

Thanks for the help!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:48pm
post #16 of 23

melvira's caramel recipe is wonderful tasting!!! you can find it under the snickers cupcake thread, on the second or third page i think. if wanting to use as a filling, just take it off the burner at the lower temp, and if you want a caramel candy like i did, i took it off at the higher temp.

i took whole plates of treats to my neighbors, and this and the homemade marshmallows got the greatest amount of "oh my god's".

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:24pm
post #17 of 23

Here's a link to Eagle Brand's recipe page for making caramel. For obvious safety reasons, they no longer recommend boiling unopened cans on the stove.

http://www.eaglebrand.com/detail.asp?rid=825

HTH
Rae

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:52pm
post #18 of 23

I vote for Melvira's recipe, it was so easy to make and the taste was great!

ETA: the link to the Snickers Cupcake thread...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=607601&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

the recipe is on the 3rd post down

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 9:35pm
post #19 of 23

I don't want to sound like a dummy, but what is the obvious reason that boiling the can is no longer recommended? I'm thinking exploding can??

Wow, that Snickers cupcake thread is amazing...they look divine. I read through ALL 21 pages, taking notes along the way. I'm making the caramel right after Christmas when things slow down a bit.

Thanks memixinvixen & cupcakemkr!

Someonesmommy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 9:42pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

I don't want to sound like a dummy, but what is the obvious reason that boiling the can is no longer recommended? I'm thinking exploding can??

Thats what Im thinking because if you open the can while its still hot it will come oozing out all over! Learned that the hard way!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 6:02am
post #21 of 23

and don't forget, if you don't wanna boil it in the can, use a double boiler - not just a saucepan. Ask me how I know this......icon_biggrin.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 6:36am
post #22 of 23

I've been used boiled condensed milk for years on cakes. Where I come from it is a well sought-after delicacy. I've filled, frosted, piped and even made roses with it. Its actually the only frosting I still eat. I've never boiled it on the stove top though. Slow cooker, 6-7 hours on high...heaven on a spoon - and my hips! icon_lol.gif

Someonesmommy Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:16am
post #23 of 23

I did use it on my chocolate cake for Christmas and it was sooooo good!

Iput a thick layer between all the layers and some of it soaked into the cake and made it so moist. I have to say that between the godiva chocolate liquer I drizzled on the layers and the caramel that it was the yummiest cake I have EVER made!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%