Ginormous Gingerbread House & Chocolate Carousel

Baking By Joanne1944 Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm by CakesByLJ

Joanne1944 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:51am
post #1 of 5

Every year I take my mother to see the huge gingerbread house inside the lobby at the Grand Floridian Hotel in Walt Disney World. My mother is almost 90 and this is her favorite thing to do during the holidays. We are fortunate to live close enough to drive over for lunch. This is the 10th year the house has been built. It takes 6 months just to bake all the pieces. To make all the gingerbread pieces it takes 1050 pounds of honey, 140 pints of egg whites, 600 pounds of powdered sugar, 700 pounds of chocolate, 800 pounds of flour and 35 pounds of spices. The house is so large the inside is a store where they sell (what else) gingerbread houses, cookies and chocolate. This year the house is decorated with hundreds and hundreds of red and white gumpaste poinsettias. In front of the house, one of their chefs demonstrates how to decorate a gingerbread house (regular size).
In the lobby of another of the Disney hotels is a life sized chocolate carousel. The horses are all made of chocolate, the carousel is made of gingerbread and the Disney characters are all made of chocolate. Awesome.
In the third lobby is the smallest of the gingerbread structures (still over 2000 gingerbread pieces). It is a train station with large Mickey and Minnie chocolate figures. Large wreaths are all made of gumpaste poinsettias.

4 replies
rocketmom1985 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:20am
post #2 of 5

Thank you so much for sharing this with are making wonderful memories with your Mom...cherish them.

7yyrt Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 5

I want the pony with the green gear on...
Doesn't every little girl want a pony?Image

brincess_b Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 5

as if i didnt want to go to disney already! looks impressive, i hope it smells as good as i imagine!

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 5

These are so gorgeous.. How wonderful that you could share this at the Holiday with your Mother... I would love to see them.. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%