Decorating By CbyA Updated 24 Dec 2008 , 2:38am by Sweet_Guys

CbyA Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:37am
post #1 of 12

Hi all!
I just got my new magazine from American Cake Decorating and I noticed a new 'kind' of fondant called "fondarific" (never heard of that) wich is flavored fondant like berry, buttercream, lemon, etc. Has any one been tried it already?? And, the color is like the flavor??? What are your experiences with it?? icon_smile.gif thank youuuuu, Cbya.
Oppsss here is the website

11 replies
Trixyinaz Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:46am
post #2 of 12

Interesting! I'd love to know too.

newmansmom2004 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:56am
post #3 of 12

Fondarific had a booth at the Tulsa cake show this year so I had the chance to taste several flavors and it does taste very good - like Starburst candies. They have a large selection of flavors and colors.

I purchased the vanilla, orange (tastes like a dreamsicle) and the tutti fruitti flavors. I like the workability, but you do need to know one thing. When it comes, it's a bit hard and the instructions say to microwave it - SLOWLY and at low temp - to soften it up. However, if you do this, it becomes greasy. I found that if you just cut some off and start working it with your hands it does soften up from the warmth of your hands without the greasiness.

I will purchase it again when the need arises, but I don't think it's smart to buy a ton and just save it for when you need it because of the fact that it does get so hard.

KathyTW Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:56am
post #4 of 12

Do a search on "fondarific" in the forums, there's one'll find info on ordering a "sample" package for free (just pay shipping).

I got mine and I liked it -but as far as the flavors go it is too much like "starburst" candy and I just can't see myself putting that much fruity flavor on a cake...but that's just me. It seems like there are quite a few here on CC that like it. I didn't try the plain or the chocolate so those may be really good - BUT it is really expensive!

Cookie4 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:58am
post #5 of 12

Yes, I have used it and it's wonderful. It comes in many great flavors but the Buttercream is their leading item I think. I love the cherry one too. They are colored already which saves a lot of time.

But, the best feature of their fondant is the drying time. I have left it out for several days just to see if it hardens crisp like other fondants and it stays soft yet holds its shape. I love it! Contact the company, they are very helpful.

fiddlesticks Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:06am
post #6 of 12

I have heard of it also but never tried it. Its good to hear what everyone things of it.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:16am
post #7 of 12

I bought the sample pack. I must say, while I liked the premade colors and differing flavors, they all seemed to taste like candy corn. I would buy it again for detail work but not to cover the whole cake.

justfrosting Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:24am
post #8 of 12

I thought is tasted like startburst too. Definately would never cover a cake with it but maybe use to mold small details.

Not my favorite product.

tonicake Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:41am
post #9 of 12

I purchased chocolate and butter cream at the Tulsa Art Show. I am ready to order more chocolate. As far as the other flavors go - I do not see myself ever using them on a cake.

In my pics I used the chocolate for the sunkin treasure ship and the enchanted tree. It was nice to just open a bucket and get right to work.

CbyA Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks girls! Is good to hear your opinions icon_lol.gif Cbya.

leah_s Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 12

I thought the flavors seemed interesting but the price is prohibitive for me.

Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:38am
post #12 of 12

We were introduced to it at ICES in Orlando this summer. It was designed in Savannah, GA so it works really well in high humidity areas. They do have fruit flavors that are colored to match (orange, lemon, tutti frutti-raspberry, strawberry, cherry, chocolate cherry, watermelon, grape), and they also have chocolate, buttercream, and vanilla. The vanilla and the buttercream can be ordered from them in several pre-made colors.

What we liked about them were the following:
1. The flavors were pre-made and could be pre-colored for you.
2. For businesses, contact them. Yes, they can be pricey; however, their wholesale prices are not too much higher than buying the other products out there.
3. If you end up with tears, you don't need to start over and re-roll. All you do is pinch and smooth and it's as good as new.
4. They microwave easily for dipping cupcakes.

Yes, the fruit flavors are over-powering. use them as decorative pieces here and there on cakes. We wouldn't ever cover an entire cake with a fruit fondant.

As far as hardening, we took some out today that was slightly hardened and kneaded it a little bit before adding some colorant to get the color we needed. It's true, it wasn't like the others where you can just open a bucket and dip your hands right in.

We think there are so many benefits to it. One of our local suppliers is even willing to match their wholesale prices for us so we buy from him rather than getting a shipment from them directly. Finally, if visiting Savannah, we were told we could call ahead and they would mix up our order and we could meet them to pick it up.

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%