Can I Freeze Already Decorated Bc &fondant Tiers

Decorating By nancyg Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 4:47am by sparklepopz

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:28am
post #1 of 3

Can I freeze already decorated buttercream and fondant cake tiers to thaw, stack, and deliver later. Need to do one for a friend, and I won't be here to bake and decorate, but I could have someone put out to thaw and then deliver and assemble when I get back in town.

Will they sweat and get sticky and would it make any of the colors bleed. Such as black fondant decorations on a white background.

I dont want to do this if it wouldnt be good quality. But, I have never frozen any cakes after decorating them.

And I need some opinions on this

2 replies
Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:35am
post #2 of 3

Bump! I have the same exact question icon_smile.gif hope we get some great CC advice soon.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:47am
post #3 of 3

I can tell you that you absolutely can freeze a cake that is iced in buttercream and covered in fondant without any degradation of quality.

I do not know, however, if heavily-colored fondant will bleed onto lighter fondant while the cake is returning to room temperature. If you keep a fan blowing on the cake as it thaws, evaporation will be whisked away fairly immediately, so in theory, it should be fine. I personally have not thawed a cake with heavily-colored fondant on lighter fondant myself. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%