My Grinch Is Sinking!!!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 1:34pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 9

HAAA!!!!! I was asked to make a carrot cake Grinch. When I was planning it out, I knew that by using the ball pan as a base in conjunction with carrot cake, I was basically setting myself up for the bottom layer to have the potential for squashing. I actually even kind of counted on it for the correct shape for the head, but still made it a firmer-than-usual carrot cake, with no raisins or nuts to make it easier to carve and stack.

Well, it "worked" ... I assembled it earlier today, and the bottom layer is, in effect, squashing up in comparison to the top layers. Like I said, I was rather counting on it, and this actually suits the design ... but it's still rather heart-stopping to watch my cake sloooowwwwlyyyy siiiiiiinnnnnnk. I'm hoping it will have stopped by this evening, and I can decorate the now-settled cake appropriately. Wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
jo_ann Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 9

I can't wait to see a pic. Bet it turns out great.

ceshell Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:34am
post #3 of 9

How scary! If it looks like it's just gonna blow out, you might consider unstacking it and doweling the bottom cake, put the ball cake on a cake board before replacing and re-icing. Hope it works out without that additional effort!

emiyeric Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:27am
post #4 of 9

Heehee .... ceshell, this is despite the doweling! It's just too moist and light a cake for this ... we'll see what happens icon_smile.gif. I have enough time to redo if need be, so I'm not stressing too much ... hopefully it will work out icon_smile.gif. We'll find out after I put the kids down icon_smile.gif.

Thanks for the encouragement! icon_smile.gif And yes, jo_ann, I will sure as heck post a pic when I'm done, one way or another icon_smile.gif ....

emiyeric Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:53am
post #5 of 9

Here it is! As it turns out, the shape turned out basically like I hoped it would, and the big floppy features were forgiving. Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for me!

Tita9499 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:12am
post #6 of 9

The cake turned out awesome!

ceshell Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:56am
post #7 of 9

Gah, I thought you meant you hadn't doweled. This is WITH doweling?! icon_eek.gif

Well I just looked at the pic, and I agree, it totally worked in your favor! I don't even know which part was sinking on you because it looks just perfect the way it is!!

jo_ann Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 9:16am
post #8 of 9

Wow, did he ever turn out great.

emiyeric Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much! I'm a little worried at how it might look when they cut into it, but hopefully it'll be compacted yet not crumbly. We'll see! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%