Fireworks

Decorating By suz3 Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 11:04pm by Doug

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone put fireworks in a cake? My hairdresser wants fireworks in her cake. I was thinking a blowdryer with the fireworks coming out the barrel. Any ideas? icon_lol.gif

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 4

the byproducts of the combustion of the gunpowder and other chemicals in the fireworks is NOT edible!!!!

so, although duff may do it -- even there the fireworks have to be aimed so the gunk doesn't get on the part to be eaten.

also, the fireworks get H O T ! while going off, hot enough to melt pvc plastic! -- so again need thermal protection --

and of course FIRE HAZARD big time! -- NOT, repeat NOT at thing to do indoors! out doors only The fireworks you and I can buy OTC (over the counter) are specifically made for OUTdoor use ONLY. So, this cake would have to be outside in the snow and the cold when set off! (and don't give me any "but they do it at concerts, on tv, in plays, etc. -- while "they" do -- they are licensed, certified, insured and bonded PROFESSIONAL pyrotechnicians using specialized "squibs" (the proper technical term). Even then things can and do go horribly wrong.)

and are fireworks even legal in OK???

---

that being said..

to prep the cake I'd make the barrel of the gun out of piece of metal pipe of an inside diameter large enough that a Roman Candle could fit into.

I set up the cake so the barrel was point at about a 60 degree angle from horizontal (to help make sure the gunk fell away from the cake and still get a pretty display.

the barrel would be firmly attached to a large wooden baseboard (or if have a welder friend, it really should be welded to a metal base plate -- you are building what is properly called a "mortar"

cake could be sculpted around the pipe.

pipe would covered in fondant and so should the whole cake.

take out side

light fuse -- R U N !

watch pretty display.

when done -- touch not the pipe -- it's hot.

strip off all the fondant and throw away -- just in case any gunk landed on the cake.

enjoy the well-chilled (at least given the weather your having now) cake.

------

BEST ADVICE --

DON'T DO IT!

just fake the fireworks w/ streamers, florist wire, glitter, etc.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 4

I obviously did not stop to think about this it just sounded like fun but NO fireworks are not legal in Tulsa so-so much for that. She'll just have to settle for the fake sparkles. Thanks for the voice of common sense.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 4

<----- really really likes to play w/ fireworks -- but --- experience (not common sense !) has long since proved that very dangerous!

glad to help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%