How To Attach Snowflake Ornaments

Decorating By dmo4ab Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 4:32am by dmo4ab

dmo4ab Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 10

I have to bride getting married the first weekend in January and she wanted a white buttercream cake with silver snowflakes on the sides. She doesn't care if the snowflakes are non-edible. I found some silver snowflake ornaments at Target that exactly match the look of the picture she gave me. The problem is the ornaments are covered with glitter that i'm sure is not food safe. Is there same way I can coat the back of the snowflake or do something so I can attach them to the buttercream with taking the risk of the non food safe glitter getting on the buttercream?

9 replies
butterfly831915 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 10

I would be afraid to chance it. The only thing I can think of is maybe lining the back of each snowflake with RI and letting it dry and then attaching but I would only do this if I was to cut and serve the cake that way if glitter were to come off you could get it off. I think the chances are to great to really do it but wish you the best off luck.. What about RI snowflakes painted with luster dust. Let us know how it turns out.

BlakesCakes Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 10

I certainly wouldn't chance it, either. You WILL have glitter "escape" and get on the cake, no matter what you use for a "food safe" coating.

You don't know if the glitter is plastic or glass, neither of which would you want anyone to ingest.

There are several recent posts on CC about snowflake patterns and I'd suggest piping lots of those in royal and then coating them with some piping gel and dipping them in sanding sugar.

kakeladi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 10

Agree w/the others.

Someonesmommy Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 10

Depeding on what is used to glue the glitter on you might be able to soak them in hot water to dissolve/loosen the glue? And maybe scrub the glue/glitter off?

Of course this could be one of my "sounds good at the time" ideas!

dmo4ab Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone. I'm having major second thoughts about using those store-bought ornaments now. I found some of the snowflake patterns and think I will try my hand at piping some in RI and see how they turn out. I'll be sure to let you know.

KHalstead Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 10

what about attaching them to wires and have them coming out of the cake......even just an inch or so? Of course you might still get glitter escape

kakeladi Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 10

KHalstead nice idea BUT...that glitter stuff get all over *everything*. The idea of washing them *might* work then do like you suggested.

dmo4ab Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:53am
post #9 of 10

I think I'm onto something. I've done a test run and I like the results. I sprayed the snowflake ornament with clear spray paint which seals all the glitter on perfectly. Then, I can cover the back with RI, let that dry and adhere to the cake with the RI.

dmo4ab Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #10 of 10

Thanks to everyone for the help! I ended up attaching dowel rods to the clear spraypainted ornaments with RI and that way they kind of "floated" just shy of touching the cake. I think it turned out rather well. I've attached a picture. I hope it comes through ok. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%