I'm Doing My First Big Baptisim Cake !!!!can You Please Advi

Decorating By valvara Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 6:05pm by valvara

valvara Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 4

I'm doing my first big baptisim cake and I 'm very, very nervous .The cake is for a big party at a hall and is for 150 people .

Can you please give me some tips in the trasportation so my cake can get there safe!!

Is going to be a 3 layer cake and is butercream!!!! icon_redface.gif

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 4

Exactly what sizes are you making? Stacked or tiered?
A 'layer' is one 2" cake; a 'tier' is two 2" layers stacked one on top of the other w/filling between them.
One of the 1st things you need to consider is the base that the cake will be put on. I highly recommend a cake drum. OR you could use a wooden or masonite board - at least 1" thick, covered w/a food safe covering (OR you can put the cake on a cake circle the same size os the cake which is then glued to the base board. The base is at least 2" bigger than the largest tier.
For 150 or so servings you need 14 (78 serv), 10 (38serv), 6 rounds plus a sheet kitchen cake OR a 16 (100 serv), 12 (56 serv), 9 (32 serv),6. Others suggest 6,8,10,12.
B'cream has no bearing on transportingicon_smile.gif I have done 100s of them; some even delivered completely stacked.
Be sure you have a clean vehicle; and that the cake rides flat on the floor. If it is already stacked/put together this is especially necessary. Also drive like a 'little old lady'icon_smile.gif Go slow - especially around corners/turns.

cakesmade4u Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 4

There are 2 ways that have worked for me one is leave them stacked and place 1or2 dowel rods down all three cakes that will help secure on top of each other without shifting. The other way is to take the tiers individully and set up at the hall. I usually set the cakes flat on the floor in the back of my truck on a skid proof mat the kind you place under rugs or placemat the rubber type. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

valvara Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you and I'm going to make the 16,12 and 8 and they are going to be stacked .

This is the first time I do one like this , I have been scared to take a big step like this but If a never take it I will never progress I will take pictures and post after I have don it all .

And thank you for your advice you guys are great , I spect to learn from the pro!!

Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%