Need Help With 50Th Bday Cake Idea

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 1:25am by kakeladi

kweenofengland Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, I basically got no inspiration from anything.....Here is the problem. This is for my x-step-dad's 50th party. He was married to my mom for a year and a half when I was 6 years old until my mom died in a car wreck. So after that I lived with my dad and basically havent seen my step dad since then other than my wedding and christmas one year. So I have no idea what he is into, likes, hobbies, etc! I cant do an over-the-hill cake because he has recently been in a depression after his 2nd heart attack. I have already baked a rectangular sheet cake 11X14 and so i have to work with this. Anybody got a good idea for a man's birthday cake. I dont really like to do a plain 'Happy Birthday Cake'. I like to do something that he would think 'wow, that is an awesome cake'. Any ideas? Possibly thinking about a 50's 50th bday cake, but other than that I am lost! HELP!

4 replies
nicole379 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 5

I second kakeladi's ideas.

First thoughts were green and gold fondant diamond shapes on a white buttercream cake. Then I thought chocolate because it seems more manly to me.

kweenofengland Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for the ideas! kakeladi...your handwriting is way too pretty and thin! love it!

kakeladi Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:25am
post #5 of 5

Well thank you for the compliment but I think it's my *worst* decorating function.
What helps me verymuch is using tip 2 and Mary Ford's book on writing. I prop it up right in front of my working and copy stroke by strokeicon_smile.gif
I also use presses lots of timesicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%