Meringues?

Baking By doleta Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 1:23am by Peeverly

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 14

How to store merigues? How long do they last? Any good recipes? Any tips about making them will be appreciated. I have an electric oven if that makes a difference. Thanks! Dee

13 replies
Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 14

I want to make them too. Specifically I want to make whats called pavlovas (Australian merigues). Anyone with experience to help out doleta and me??

taniabanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taniabanana Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 7:37am
post #3 of 14

I've made a few Pavlovas in my time. I find the addition of cornflour gives a marshmallow type middle which is delicious. They do not turn out perfectly white though and will weep sugar if you overbeat. Make sure your utensils are grease free or the eggs whites won't whip properly.

HTH!

Here is my fav recipe
3 Egg Whites
6oz Fine/Caster Sugar
1tsp Cornflour

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 2, 300°F (150°C)
Place the egg whites in a large clean bowl and have the sugar measured and ready. Now whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and you can turn the bowl upside down without them sliding out (it's very important, though, not to over-whisk the egg whites because, if you do, they will start to collapse). When they're ready, start to whisk in the sugar, approximately 1 oz (25 g) at a time, whisking after each addition until all the sugar is in. Finally fold in the cornflour

Now take a metal tablespoon and spoon the meringue mixture on to the prepared baking sheet, forming a circle about 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter. Then spoon round blobs next to each other so that they join up to form a circle all around the edge. Now, using the tip of a skewer, make little swirls in the meringue all round the edge, lifting the skewer up sharply each time to leave tiny peaks.

Place the baking sheet in the oven, then immediately turn down the heat to gas mark 1, 275°F (140°C) and leave it to cook for 1 hour. Then turn the heat right off but leave the Pavlova inside the oven until it's completely cold. I always find it's best to make a Pavlova in the evening and leave it in the turned-off oven overnight to dry out.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:21am
post #4 of 14

Store airtight. Humidity + meringue = thumbsdown.gif

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 9:02am
post #5 of 14

the only difference between meringues and pavlovas is that pavlovas use cornflour and vinegar to create the mm middle.

I like to preheat the oven to a higher temp than what I am going to bake the meringues at and then turn the temp down as soon as I put the meringues in the oven.

Pavlova

250g caster sugar
4 egg whites
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar

Pre heat to 180C

beat whites til stiff add sugar in thirds

sprinkle on cornflour and vinegar and fold in

spread on parchment

plonk in oven reduce heat to 140-130C bake for an hour or so.

If making meringues they look fab brushe with pearl dust!

Peeverly Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 14

Ok, I hijacked Dee's post. Dee - I'm sorry! Anyone on regular meringues??? But, since they are similar - a couple of questions. Do I have to use castor sugar (and what is it?). can I use regular sugar and is corn flour corn starch? Thanks!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 14

corn flour is the english name for corn starch

johnson6ofus Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 14

2 egg whites at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

Whip egg whites until frothy, gradually add sugar and other ingredients. Form onto prachment paper lined sheet or brown paper bag (inside, please). Bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour then turn off oven to dry.

Can be slightly colored (paste or drops NOT oil), spooned, or piped in bag. My kids favorite? Chrictmas "trees". Little green blobs piped through large star tips, sprikled with colored nonparelis. Small ones dry much quicker and are more fun to eat to pop in mouth whole (less mess).

HTH Rita

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:13am
post #9 of 14

I make these every Christmas.

Raspberry Meringue Kisses

3 egg whites
1/8 -teaspoon salt
3-1/2 tablespoons raspberry gelatin
3/4 cup sugar (use superfine for best results)
1 teaspoon vinegar (sets the color)
1 cup mini chocolate bits

Beat egg whites with salt until foamy. Add raspberry gelatin and sugar gradually; beat until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Mix in vinegar; fold in chocolate bits.
Drop from teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheets that have been covered with brown paper. (I use clean brown grocery bags that I cut to fit cookie sheets. I keep the printed side down). Bake at 250 degrees 25 minutes.. Turn oven off; leave cookies in oven 20 minutes longer.

Makes about 9 dozen.

A couple tips.
Instead of using a teaspoon, I use a very large pastry bag with no tip and pipe them. You can put them fairly close. They only need to dry out. Then turn out great and are less messy. If you get excessive pointy tips, just use your finger that has been dipped in water to tame them down.

I believe castor sugar is another term for superfine or bar sugar.

The reason it is called for is it dissolves much faster. You can make your own by just putting regular sugar in the food processor for a bit. There is also a product out called Bakers Sugar. It is a superfine sugar. It comes in what looks like a paper milk carton.

These meringues keep very well in tins with tight fitting lids. These are the first cookies I make and they have been great two to three weeks after Christmas(if any are left)

Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Peeverly Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:45am
post #10 of 14

Great recipes! I am either going to make the meringues or the pavlovas. A friend of mine puts raspberry something in between them. She is out of town so I can't ask her. Does anyone out there put them together (if you make individual ones and not one great big one) with a fruit inbetween?

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:05am
post #11 of 14

This is the one I luv! I made meringues for the first time ever and I loved this recipe. Got it from sparkrecipes.com, they are about 40 calories each! you can't beat that! ** I made them without the mint extract though...

2 Egg Whites, beaten very stiff
1/2 cup sugar, gradually added
1/2 t mint flavoring or almond extract
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped pecans
food coloring

Preheat oven to 350
Beat eggs till very stiff
(NOTE: Flavorings not listed in Spark ingredient list)
Gradually add sugar
Fold in last 3 ingredients.
Also add food coloring in red or green.
Cover cookie sheets with aluminum foil.
Drop rounded tsp. slightly apart.
Put in oven and TURN OFF the heat.
Leave in closed oven at least 2 hours or overnight to dry up the cookies.

johnson6ofus Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 14

you can make flat ones, and spoon melted chocolate between and glue them together. I am afraid real jelly or jam would be too wet and would break them down.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:52pm
post #13 of 14

Could it be a Schaum Torte?

Do a search, you'll get lots of recipes.

It is delicious!

Usually involves ice cream and fruit!

Peeverly Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:23am
post #14 of 14

I just got in touch with my friend and she puts cool whip and frozen raspberries in between the pavlovas. They are sooooo delicious. I am going to try both the meringues and the pavlova recipes you all posted here. Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%