Airbrush For Xmas! Anyone Know How To Use It?

Decorating By Malakin Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 3:24pm by CakeMakar

Malakin Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:19am
post #1 of 7

Ok everyone. We all know how women are. They want things and never use them. Well, this one caught me by surprise. Yes, I did want an airbrush system. Never expected to get one. My DD bought me one for xmas!!! I need help. Anyone know tutorials here or anywhere on how to even use it? It didn't come with instructions.

6 replies
CakeMakar Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:27am
post #2 of 7

First of congrats!

What kind is it? A gravity fed or one with jars?

Did you search online for instructions for your particular model?

Malakin Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:30am
post #3 of 7

So far it is gravity feed with 15-50 PSI. It didn't even come with instructions on how to hook it up but I have DH working on that part. What pressure is good to start out with? It came with Americolor. I assume you just pour in the Americolor after turning it on and fire away. I checked online at the companies website but no instructions. I am going to have to call them.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/abdkitcake20.html

SugarFrosted Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 4:07am
post #4 of 7

I found a website a while back which has some airbrush instructions. While it is not for cakes, the technique is basically the same. On the left side of the page there is a list of lessons to click on, each has instructions with pictures, which give a good overview.
http://www.howtoairbrush.com/

There are also some books about cake airbrush techniques available, by Roland Winbeckler.
http://www.winbeckler.com/books-airbrush.asp

mamacc Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 7

also try the library...I found a bunch of airbrush books at my library....

CakeMakar Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 7

You can go to an art supply, tool shop, or hobby shop and they should be able to help you, too. We went to Harbor Freight and got all the attachments I needed for my airbrushes and they were more than happy to help me get it set up. I've also been to the hobby shop down the street (they have stuff like model cars & RC planes) and they helped me when my hose broke. I stepped on the latch, like a dummy. They gave me some more tips.
(I have a couple airbrushes, all gravity fed, so mine have a release latch that allow me to disconnect the airbrushes & lines while keeping everything else in tact to the compressor. The compressor is in the garage so I don't have to hear it.)

Get yourself a roll of paper towels with designs on them, or a kid's coloring book and use that for practice. Above all, just spend time playing with the thing.
And if you put too much air out at once, you WILL blow your icing off your cake, or put gaping holes in your painstakingly smooth buttercream. Don't practice for the first time on someone else's cake! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMakar Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 7

You got a great deal, by the way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%