Book Cake

Decorating By lll_artemis_lll Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 9:51pm by sugarshack

lll_artemis_lll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lll_artemis_lll Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:11am
post #1 of 9

Plese help me. I need to find some tutorial to learn how to do a book cake.
Thanks

Ana

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:28am
post #2 of 9

Do you want an open book or the closed one? How many do you need to serve? Wilton has 2 open book pans....one uses one mix (approx 15 servings) the other uses 2 (approx. 30-35 serv).
If you need more than that you can make a sheet 12x18x2 (2 1/2 to 3 mixes) and carve it a bit. Just cut a shallow "V" in the center then taper the side edges some.

lll_artemis_lll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lll_artemis_lll Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:41am
post #3 of 9

I need to make closed books.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #4 of 9

I would love to make a book cake too!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:10am
post #5 of 9

I made a book cake without a tutorial - it was fairly easy. I started with a 9X13 pan (you can certainly make one smaller. I made it 2 layers so it was at least 4in. high. I made a slight indentation running down the left side of the cake so it would give it a grooved look - like a binding on a book. I did a crumb coat and then just rolled out some fondant. I did it in sections. I rolled out the bottom part of the book and then placed the cake on it. I did the same for the top- just make sure you extend it further than the cake. I then did a separate piece of fondant for the back binding and a strip of fondant for the pages. To get the lines in the pages, I took the edge of a ruler and just pressed it into the fondant. I painted the pages with vanilla extract to give it some dimension. I also made some post-its out of gumpaste for an added touch.
Good luck! Here's a picture of my book, but there are many better ones on this site.
LL

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:21am
post #6 of 9

msulli10, thanks for posting book instructions...can't wait to give it a try!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:30am
post #7 of 9

Yes, thanks for that, I've been wanting to try one too. Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for posting that!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 9

mine are in my photios:

the books were easy just time consuming. a thick piece of white scored fondant with the lines was placed on the 3 sides for the pages. the spine and top cover were one piece. i added a TON of tylose to the colored fondant. rolled it out just under 1/4 inch thick. let it set up some before i put it on the cake. go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. I propped the corners up with viva for a while so they would not droop. the bottm "cover" is just strips (1/4 inch wide) applied along the bottom white part of the pages.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%