Please Take A Look- How Do I Do The Circles?

Decorating By Lenette Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 12:10am by Doug

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 6

I found the cake below online and I really like it. I would like to do a display but I am unsure of how to do the separator circles.

Are they gumpaste? Stuck to a styro separator? How do they get them to stand on the sides like that?

If anyone has tips on re-creating the look I would appreciate the help.

TIA!
LL

5 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 6

I've seen something like this Toba Garrett did. She used RI on some of her pieces.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 6

Wow.....They look like gum paste. maybe like a tear drop shape with the points tucked into styrofoam base....

I don't know.....but that is such a beautiful cake.....

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 6

take a close look to the left side of the bottom tier and the styrofoam separator is clearly visible behind the circles.

the trick would be....

styrofoam separator that is just enough smaller than tier on top of it to allow 1/2 the circle to be under the tier.

as for circles -- well if it "must" be edible -- then could be gumpaste or fondant cut and left to harden. ( i suppose some person w/ more than enough time on their hands could also make them out of royal icing - draw circle and then flood --- or even could do baked Meringue Cookies and use those!)

then to stand on edge -- well they will mush a bit into the icing and then little dots of royal icing as glue on top most edge to connect to plate under tier above and another dot on the back edge to glue to styrofoam should do it.

in diagram the red dots would be the royal icing glue points
HTH
LL

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:06am
post #5 of 6

Thanks all!

I do have Toba's book, I will look there.

Doug- it doesn't HAVE to be edible. Is there another method/material you would suggest?

I guess I need to decide what the tier sizes would be so then I can figure out what to do for the separators.

Thanks again for the input. If there are more suggestions, keep 'em comin'! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and I think I want to do a different color, i am not digging the ivory so much or the flowers. I was thinking chocolate brown? What do you think would be pretty and classy, unique but not too much?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

Doug- it doesn't HAVE to be edible. Is there another method/material you would suggest?

if not edible could be some type of heavy paper (card stock, oak tag)....tho' cookies would work too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%