Can I Make A Spice Cake From A Box White Mix?

Decorating By cakeschmake Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 1:10am by LisaR64

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a cake and really do not want to go back out to the store for a spice cake mix, does anyone know how to turn a white cake mix into spice cake of some sort ? I checked the recipes section but didnt see anything helpful, unless I missed it.
Any help will be appreciated icon_smile.gif

4 replies
sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 5

Yup! I always make a pumpkin spice cake with a white cake mix... but assuming you don't have canned pumpkin or pumpkin pie pudding around the house.. the easiest way to make it is by just using your typical cake mix extenders and use a mixture of these spices.. or your favorite spices.

2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

I hope that helps!!

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 5

no pumpkin (i cant keep it around cause one of my favorites is pumpkin chocolate chip cake, if i had pumpkin thats what id be makin icon_lol.gif ) but i do have all the rest, i'll give that a try.
since i am extending the white mix i wasnt sure about the ratios of spices to mix but this helps alot
thanks so much!

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 5

Glad I can help. I like it with a lot of spice.. so if you do too.. just taste test it after you mix all the ingredients in.. and add more if you please icon_smile.gif

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:10am
post #5 of 5

I just made a spice cake from a white cake a couple of weeks ago when I was a layer short on one of my cakes. The layer made from the white cake (plus spices) tasted exactly the same as the spice cake did....even my husband couldn't tell which was which, and spice cake is his favorite.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%