Can You Recommend Some Good Books?

Decorating By lolobell Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 5:33am by cvoges

lolobell Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 5

Howdy again and Happy Holidays.

Was wondering if any of you can recommend a few good books to teach me about cakes and decorating? i am self taught on both decorations and MMF. I don't know how to post my pics but I do pretty good work but have A LOT to learn and years to go before I can accomplish what you all do. With that said, I would love some good books to keep me learning.

Thank you all in advance,

4 replies
sweet_teeth Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 5

I don't have any book recommendations yet (I'm hoping to get a ton for XMAS) but I just received Sugarshacks DVD collection.. and my gosh.. you learn more from those DVDs than I ever thought I could in 1 hour! She teaches you so many tips and tricks that she has learned over the years, gives you her perfected buttercream recipe and instructions on exactly how to prepare it, and inspires you to reach perfection.

She has one on making tiered cakes, one on buttercream, one on fondant, and on that has a gallary of some of her most popular cakes.

Her website is

Go there!!

kakeladi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:46am
post #3 of 5

Ditto what she ^^^^^ said!
In a way you would be better off w/DVDs.
Depending on what kind of decorating you want to do the list of books will vary greatly.
Wilton has a 3 book series called "The Wilton Encyclopedia of cake deco". I highly recommend vol 3 if you are interested at all in b'cream work.....especially b'cream flowers.

fba322 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:03am
post #4 of 5

This book isn't for cakes, but Hello, Cupcake! is awesome! And the techniques used on the cupcakes can absolutely be applied to cakes as well.

cvoges Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:33am
post #5 of 5

I highly recommend Toba Garrett's "The Well Decorated Cake" for piping techniques. I also refer to my Wilton books and Roland Winbeckler books when I need basic instructions on flowers and figure piping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%