Vent- Are My Cakes That Bad?

Decorating By 0TNIC Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 10:54pm by RobzC8kz

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:31am
post #31 of 37

I just checked out your gallery and I think your designs are very cute and creative. I too am new at decorating and I'm teaching myself mainly through cc. It takes a lot of practice to do anything that requires a great deal of skill and technique, and it looks like you are well on your way to improving your skills. You've done quite a few cakes already, and if you are like me, you try to improve upon your skills with each consecutive cake. Don't be disheartened by your 'friends' rude remarks. You are obviously passionate about decorating, so keep it up, keep referring to cc for techniques, questions, inspiration, and support. Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:02am
post #32 of 37

I have two questions for you:
1. Are you passionate about what you do?
2. Why do you decorate cakes?

Write down your answers or record yourself saying it out loud. From where you were to where you are, you are doing very well. I know that a lot of times critisism can be hard and to be quite frank, that "friend" has no reason to say anything. Nothing in life is perfect and no one is either. People like her really have a hard time realizing the imortant things in life. If they expected that much out of you, then that is THERE fault, not yours. You were honest and they knew you were begining and thats that. As far as your work goes, it's not perfect, (with practice, you will improve) but it's too good to be put on cakewrecks. If caking is something you love then don't let anyone tell you that you suck or that they can do better. I have been challenged many times, by my own family and now that I have my own recipes that I worked on, with some help of cc, they are all about ordering cakes and breads and all other goodies.
I had a hard time in the begining realizing that I had talent and I can honestly say that sometimes I surprise myself with some of my creations. In my gallery there pics from when I started and I want you to take a good look at them. I made all of those when I was about 18 and I am now 25. (my camera went poopoo, so i'm hoping for a new one) Look at the pursecake and then look at the others ( I know it's a little blurry) I can tell you that it was so perfect I couldn't figure out what else to do with it, but I wanted to keep decorating, so I made another cake just for fun. That's a combination of passion and craziness. I think that you are well on your way and that you should keep going. If I would have stopped years ago, I wouldn't be where I am today. Don't let go of your dream for someone else. Your the only one who has control over them. Hugss, I know what your going through but I know that you will be fine. Stay strong. You can do this.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:42pm
post #33 of 37

oh, forgot 1 thing... I took wilton 1-3 and I have learned more on CC!! So be proud you are self-taught... it takes a lot to get the groove going and you are doing fine. Don't let someone steal your thunder!!!

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:18pm
post #34 of 37

For not taking any classes I think you do quite well! I haven't taken any classes either and I know I could use some help with my skills. And no matter how good anyone one is they can always learn something to make them better.

No as far as her saying that you need some classes, that was VERY rude! Was she expecting something from the front of a Martha Stewart magazine?

ANWAYS........like my mom always told me....Any one who can't criticize with a soft heart isn't worth listening to in the first place!

I wouldn't worry about the comments and just keep doing what your doing. You can only get better!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:29pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I think on some of then your workmanship can get a little sloppy. This is what I'm always fighting with my cakes. I get so excited about a design that I just want to get it all done and gloat around about my final product.. and sometimes the quality of all my designs suffer from this.

Oh man! I can relate to that! My problem is I get so excited about just making something, anything sometimes! And I start on a design....and end up doing something different halfway through! I have very little focus at times!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:54pm
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I think on some of then your workmanship can get a little sloppy. This is what I'm always fighting with my cakes. I get so excited about a design that I just want to get it all done and gloat around about my final product.. and sometimes the quality of all my designs suffer from this.

Oh man! I can relate to that! My problem is I get so excited about just making something, anything sometimes! And I start on a design....and end up doing something different halfway through! I have very little focus at times!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Sounds like im not the only adhd decorator not taking meds! I seriously jump from project to project and sometimes the quality of my work suffers. Of course I do that with everything I do. I can't for the life of me do one thing at a time!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:54pm
post #37 of 37

I've never taken a single class in my life. I learned from my Mother and Grandmother and even then it was mostly watching...I barely started doing my own cakes two years ago.

If you truely have a passion for doing cakes for people, then your skills will come along. Devoure any resources you can find. DVD's, books, internet, this site, whatever is available to you.

Learning new techniques, and then practicing those techniques over and over again, is the only thing that will make you better.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%