Yes, I Know It's An Old Story, But

Business By karateka Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 4:32am by indydebi

karateka Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 7

I'm still pissed.

I bought a lead from Decidio.com and emailed the bride promptly. I get an email back from her saying "Thank you for the information, Stacie, but I found someone to make the cake (for 300 people) for $300. I'll let you know if something happens with her."

I hope she realizes that if something does happen with that baker, she'll be paying my full price. And if it happens close to the wedding, then she'll be paying a rush fee as well.

6 replies
kelleym Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 7

Well, the likelihood is, she'll get exactly what she paid for. I know it is just infuriating for you, though.

Malakin Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 7

Ok, stupid here but I don't know what is "buying a lead from Decidio.com". I'm lost.

indydebi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

Ok, stupid here but I don't know what is "buying a lead from Decidio.com". I'm lost.

Decidio.com is a website where brides (and others) can go to search for vendors. For example, a bride goes on and fills out the form saying "I need a caterer". She hits 'enter' and her inquiry goes out to every caterer listed on decidio, in her area. As a caterer on that site (and it costs me nothing to be listed), I receive the email-inquiry telling me her date, number of people, the kind of food she is looking for, her budget per person, and any comments she listed. If I want to follow up on this lead, I pay $2 to get her name and email address. (If I'm already booked for that date, I just hit 'delete' and it costs me nothing.)

cakesdivine Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 7

Or Stacie you get the panic struck bride whose decorator one month prior (or less) suddenly can't do their cake. They bring you a pic of a very ornate, fondant, gumpaste flowers out the kazoodle, and then tell you they want 250 servings and oh they don't want to spend more than what the other decorator was charging which was only $300...I actually had that happen to me last year. I told them I could only accommodate them if they understood they had to pay my prices which for the cake they wanted was going to be in the $1000 to $1300 price range, and if they waited to decide even one more week the price almost doubles due to the time constraints of squeezing in such an elaborate cake with all the gumpaste flowers into my already very busy schedule.

They actually hired me, told me my cakes tasted better than the other ladies. After it was all said & done they loved the product I gave them!

classiccake Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:24am
post #6 of 7

I am rather dubious of Decidio. In their information I look to see what the brides budget for cake is and often it ends up being $1.00 to $1.50 per serving. I have never purchased one of their leads.

I would be interested in other people's experiences with Decidio.

indydebi Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

I am rather dubious of Decidio. In their information I look to see what the brides budget for cake is and often it ends up being $1.00 to $1.50 per serving.

Yeah, I tend to zap those into ye 'ole electronic trash can, too. thumbs_up.gif

One of the sites actually has info for the bride that ".... note: an average wedding cake will be $3-$5 per serving" .... but they still allow a bride to select a ridiculous lower budgeted rate. icon_confused.gif

I've been using it for just under a year so I don't have any hard numbers on it yet, but even tho' their pay-per-lead cost is lower than most, I dont' think the quality of leads is all that great. I'm finding I'm buying fewer and fewer leads from them than I'm getting from other sites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%