Writing An Article, Need Input!

Business By FlowerGirlMN Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 7:08pm by JillK

FlowerGirlMN Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 8

Hey guys,

I have the opportunity to write an article for a local bridal publication. Well, it's a local version of a national one, and they're leaning towards something that can run in national. Anyway.

What we're looking to do is write about some of the myths vs facts about the wedding cake industry. You know, dispute some of the "wisdom" that the major bridal mags put out. So...

1. They want quotes from other cake people around the company. Please, legit businesses only. If there's a falsehood you've been dealing with and have professional beef with, msg me with something professional, educational, and succinct that you'd like to say about the matter. I think my own quote will be about bashing the use of fondant, but there's nothing to say that I can't use more than one per issue!

2. Any feedback on which I should elaborate on? There are just so many! Off the top of my head (and before morning caffeine!), I'm thinking:

- The cheap/free dummy cake lie. BIG POINT HERE. Will address the sheet cake thing too.

- I'm going to address the bit about waiting till 3 months out to order the cake. That sure, it works for some.. but most high end places book out much further than that. I'm just annoyed at the number of brides who look / sound shocked at me being booked for their weekend, and cite that nugget of wisdom.

- I need more sleep...

7 replies
indydebi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 8

Feel free to pick and choose from any of the following!!! And congrats on a great opportunity! I'm VERY envious!! thumbs_up.gif

"Centerpiece cakes are not necessarily cheaper than a regular tiered wedding cake. There are more cakes to bake, more decorating to do, more labor involved in delivery and set up. Since cakes are sold by the serving, a "simple" 8 inch cake will serve 24 guests. A bride can rarely sit 24 guests to a table. Most tables seat only 8, so a bride is actually buying 3 times the amount of cake that she really needs, ergo spending 3 times the money."

"I had a bride come to me and tell me that one local bakery told her 'Some will tell you that you get more servings from a square cake than you do a round cake, but you don't'. I pulled a round and a square cake from my kitchen and showed this bride how the 10" square pan was larger than the 10" round pan and how she WOULD get more servings from a square cake."

"I am frustrated by wedding magazines and internet sites that imply to a bride how a wedding cake is just a sideline item at a reception. What I observe, when guests start to arrive at a reception, is how they walk straight to the cake table. They dont' stop to marvel at the table centerpieces, they don't take pictures of the table linens and overlays. But they do actually form a line to take a picture of the wedding cake. I view a wedding cake as the Grand Centerpiece of a wedding reception. It's what the guests notice upon their arrival."

"Some cost cutting suggestions just aren't logical and I need to guide them through the thought process. For example, I have a cake package that includes the cake, plates, forks, punch, cups, nuts, mints, table linens, set up and serving. I had one bride who wanted to order the package for 100 and just order additional cake for 75. I told her "Sure! Just let me know which 100 guests get the punch in a cup and cake on a plate and which 75 guests get to drink from the water fountain and get their cake handed to them on their hand." She replied, "Oh, yeah, I get it."

"It's a shame that the term "Cake Cutting Fee" is used, because it represents much more than that. A hotel that allows you to bring in your wedding cake from an outside bakery is making no money on that cake. Yet the bride expects the hotel to provide the plates, the forks, the napkins, the labor to cut the cake, the labor to serve the cake to the guests, to clear the tables, to wash those plates and put them away. The Cake Service Fee covers much more than just cutting the cake ... it covers the expenses involved in taking care of serving this grand dessert to your guests."

FlowerGirlMN Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 8

I knew I could count on you, Debi!

As an aside, I think I may have a winner for most ridiculous thing a bride has been told.

Had one recently tell me that another baker (didn't say who,I have my suspicions!) told her that they charge extra to stack the cakes right on top of each other, instead of having any space between them. What??? LOL.

bcake1960 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 8

Wow! Indydebbi!! THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE.. You have such great comebacks for these brides! I love reading all your reply's. I was just cracking up at the "Which guest get to eat on a plate and which guest get cake served on their hands!! TOO FUNNY! But great advice... Thanks for all your advice... you have saved me more than once!
icon_smile.gif

AZCakeGirl Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"I am frustrated by wedding magazines and internet sites that imply to a bride how a wedding cake is just a sideline item at a reception. What I observe, when guests start to arrive at a reception, is how they walk straight to the cake table. They dont' stop to marvel at the table centerpieces, they don't take pictures of the table linens and overlays. But they do actually form a line to take a picture of the wedding cake. I view a wedding cake as the Grand Centerpiece of a wedding reception. It's what the guests notice upon their arrival."

Yep.....I can't remember where I heard this, but they say that the two things people remember the most from a wedding are (in this order)

#1 The bride's dress
#2 The wedding cake!

All the other details are quickly forgotten by most guests. I don't know how they got this info, but it seems to make sense. Even when looking back at my own wedding, those are the things that stick out the most to me.

indydebi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

I was just cracking up at the "Which guest get to eat on a plate and which guest get cake served on their hands!!

That's a true story, too. I really, REALLY did tell a bride that once.

CakeForte Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 8

Also that a really low per serving slice ($1-2) is not realistic. A custom dessert with a pretty design takes many hours to create and usually a staff of several people. Someone has a quote in their siggy about taking 150 guests to a dinner at a really nice restaurant and trying to buy a slice of cake for less than $5/ person.

Wedding cupcakes are not necessarily cheaper either. They take a lot of time to decorate as well.

The majority of cakes featured in magazines are dummy cakes made for specifically for the magazine photo shoot, and are at the higher end of the pricing scale because of the intricate detail.
(not the ones that show actual weddings)

JillK Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 8

No tips. I'm just an amateur who likes to hang around enviously looking at the beautiful art of all the pros on here. icon_wink.gif

I'm a former reporter, though, and if you want me to proofread your article for newpaper style, etc. when you're done, just let me know.

It's so cool you're doing this. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%