Does It Matter

Decorating By Wesha Updated 21 Dec 2008 , 8:27pm by springlakecake

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys,

I wanted to know, does it matter? I used Blue Bonnet in my cream cheese icing instead of butter. It has been about 10 mins now, and no crust. Any thoughts?

Wesha

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 6

was the cake cold or partially frozen? This will delay the crusting process. Crusting is a ratio of fat to sugar. More sugar, more crusting .... more fat, less crusting. I THINK blue bonnet has more water in it than other margarines, which could affect the crusting.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah...I agree..at least for me it can change the consistency...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 6

I believe Blue Bonnet, since it really isn't butter, is salted. I always make sure my butter is unsalted sweet cream butter. That may make a difference.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 6

Well, the cream cheese icing did not crust, I waited about 20 mins or so, so I ended up sticking in the freezer until my customer came to pick it up. The icing itself was very creamy and thin. I used the crusting cream cheese receipe on the site. It was good though. Next time I will use real butta icon_biggrin.gif

Wesha

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 6

I tought a wilton cupcake class once to some girl scouts. The recipe they were given was to use margarine instead of butter. I have no idea if she made the recipe right or not, but it was a pretty loose consistency. It was also melting all over. I cant remember if it crusted or not. But I definitley wouldnt substitue margarine after witnessing it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%