How Do You Fix A Leaning Cake -- Asap!!!!

Decorating By jr33176 Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 2:48am by ladybug76

jr33176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jr33176 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:16am
post #1 of 5

I'm in a panic!! I am making a 3D Thomas cake and it is leaning. I checked my layers to make sure they were level when I trimmed them. Now, as I stacked the 2 layers up (doweled between the two layers), I can see the whole thing is leaning to one side. I have taken the top layer off because I can see something is wrong with the bottom layer.

Please help!!! How do I fix this? I need to deliver this cake in 7 hours and I'm stuck!!!!!

4 replies
jr33176 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:33am
post #2 of 5

Okay, after looking at the bottom layer, it appears that one of my fills/torts is not level. Should I carefully pull it apart and try to fix it? I'm nervous to do that, but also don't bigger problems later on...

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:17am
post #3 of 5

Hi there!! Not sure I can necesarily give the best advise since I haven't had this YET.... but I searched through some forums and it may have something to do with leveling or amount of filing. Although it may be tricky, your best bet may be to check amount of filling and/or dam on that first layer. Here's one forum I found:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-603234-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Hopefully by the time you read this your problem was already solved, but I just had to try to help..... that would be a crazy feeling with the cake due in a few hours!!!

Good Luck!!
~ Jaime

jr33176 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the link, Jamie. I suspected I overfilled my very bottom torte so I took apart the entire cake to fix it. In the end, I had to deliver an hour late, but it was worth it to deliver a solid cake rather than one that was leaning! But, let me tell you, I nearly died when I was trying to fix the problem. I will definitely be extremely careful with the filling from now on!!!!

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:48am
post #5 of 5

I'm glad you were able to fix it. ...and trust me, I made a little mental note 'to self' for my cakes since I KNOW I overfill those bad boys!! icon_lol.gif
Happy Holidays!!
~~ Jaime

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%