How To Achieve Red Gumpaste

Decorating By dmcclend Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 8:34pm by peg818

dmcclend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmcclend Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:40am
post #1 of 7

Hello Everyone,

Could someone please tell me how to achieve poinsettia red? I am planning on making a whole batch of red gumpaste and I wanted to add the color while mixing up the wet ingredients. Every time I try to knead the color in by hand I always wind up with the wrong shade of red, either it is to bright or leaning more towards burgundy. Also, can you please suggest which color petal dusts I should use once I finish assembling the flowers? Thank you for your time.

6 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 7

I just made some poinsettias and used a different method that works nicely. Color some gumpaste lightly with red (it will be a dark pink). Make your petals, let dry and dust before you assemble. Crystal Colors makes a color called poinsettia red that is pefect. I then added a bit of royal purple around the edges of the leaves for realism, steamed the petals lightly to set the color, then assembled. For the green petals I used Green Bean dust.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 7

when making a whole batch of colored gumpaste, i omit some of the liquid that the recipe calls for and sub in about a tablespoon or so of color.

Then for a very deep dark red i will dust with a burgandy or a dark red.

dmcclend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmcclend Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both! I'll try adding some holiday red Americolor to my gumpaste batch and then dusting with the crystal color. Thanks again.

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 7

what "dust" are you referring to when coloring fondant? Can you give a brand name and the technique involved in dying and dusting?

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 7

what "dust" are you referring to when coloring fondant? Can you give a brand name and the technique involved in dying and dusting?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlewops

When making flowers i use crystal colors (they are a high grade powdered food coloring) for dusting, which means i just take a soft bristled brush and brush the color over the petal/leaf. If you layer different colors you can get a depth in your piece that you can't get with just a flat mixed in color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%