How To Achieve Red Gumpaste

Decorating By dmcclend Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 8:34pm by peg818

dmcclend Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:40am
post #1 of 7

Hello Everyone,

Could someone please tell me how to achieve poinsettia red? I am planning on making a whole batch of red gumpaste and I wanted to add the color while mixing up the wet ingredients. Every time I try to knead the color in by hand I always wind up with the wrong shade of red, either it is to bright or leaning more towards burgundy. Also, can you please suggest which color petal dusts I should use once I finish assembling the flowers? Thank you for your time.

6 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 7

I just made some poinsettias and used a different method that works nicely. Color some gumpaste lightly with red (it will be a dark pink). Make your petals, let dry and dust before you assemble. Crystal Colors makes a color called poinsettia red that is pefect. I then added a bit of royal purple around the edges of the leaves for realism, steamed the petals lightly to set the color, then assembled. For the green petals I used Green Bean dust.

peg818 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 7

when making a whole batch of colored gumpaste, i omit some of the liquid that the recipe calls for and sub in about a tablespoon or so of color.

Then for a very deep dark red i will dust with a burgandy or a dark red.

dmcclend Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both! I'll try adding some holiday red Americolor to my gumpaste batch and then dusting with the crystal color. Thanks again.

cakesbydina Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 7

what "dust" are you referring to when coloring fondant? Can you give a brand name and the technique involved in dying and dusting?

cakesbydina Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 7

what "dust" are you referring to when coloring fondant? Can you give a brand name and the technique involved in dying and dusting?

peg818 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlewops

When making flowers i use crystal colors (they are a high grade powdered food coloring) for dusting, which means i just take a soft bristled brush and brush the color over the petal/leaf. If you layer different colors you can get a depth in your piece that you can't get with just a flat mixed in color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%