Fondant Too Sticky/greasy?

Decorating By Beckief Updated 25 Dec 2013 , 10:58am by cmnmaldonado

Beckief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckief Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:19am
post #1 of 15

Is there a way I can fix this? I did MMF with crisco and PS. But its just too greasy. This is my first time using fondant of any type. I am just playing around, teaching myself.....I have colored it, is it too late for a fix???

Thanks!

14 replies
gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:32am
post #2 of 15

I'm pretty new at this too, but I think I would try kneading in some ps and see what that does. I just kinda experiment around and see what happens!

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #3 of 15

I would add PS, about a half a cup at a time. Knead it in, see how it feels, then add additional half cups until it feels OK. HTH!

Beckief Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:50am
post #4 of 15

I have been doing that, but I am almost out of PS!! lol
Plus it is VERY warm in my house, ATM. We are in the middle of an almost blizzard! So, I put the fondant in ziplock bags and threw them in the snow to chill for a bit. If that messes it up, oh well.....I am just playing around anyway. lol Practice makes perfect, right??

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:15am
post #5 of 15

Maybe try rolling it out with cornstarch instead of PS. That always works for me. I usually dust my mat with cornstarch then dust the hunk of fondant with another light sprinkling of corn starch and roll out.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:38am
post #6 of 15

I agree with Steph, cornstarch will help dry it up. But, make sure when switching from a workspace that has crisco on it, to using cornstarch or PS, to clean the workarea. Otherwise i find that I start getting a gritty feel to the fondant.

Beckief Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks ladies!!!! I will try that today.

Sweetcakes, I see youre in Puyallup, WA!! I am in Tacoma! How are you dealing with all this snow!? Pretty crazy, huh?? icon_smile.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 15

How much powdered sugar did you use? Here's a great link that I started out making MMF with and it turns out great and easy to use every time:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Beckief Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 15

That is the EXACT recipe I used. lol

*sigh* I got my cake covered....but am now having troubles with the detail work. And its not even that detailed. lol

Thanks again ladies. I appreciate it.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 15

Hey Beckief! Yea, it's beautiful isn't it? As long as one doesn't have to go out in it!!! I think I'm pretty well set for now.
Did you get everything fixed on the cake? Let me know if I can help.

MistyGirl2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyGirl2008 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 15

Just knead in a little more powdered sugar until it feels right. MMF is pretty forgiving - too sticky add a little more sugar, too dry add a little more water.

Beckief Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:46am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcakes23

Hey Beckief! Yea, it's beautiful isn't it? As long as one doesn't have to go out in it!!! I think I'm pretty well set for now.
Did you get everything fixed on the cake? Let me know if I can help.

Yeah its pretty, but I must agree about not having to go out in it. My husband is working right now, I feel sorry for him.

But, no I didnt get it figured out. I think I did something way wrong and really messed up the MMF. I threw it out. icon_redface.gif I will try again once things calm down around here. We were supposed to move this weekend, but with all the snow......... thumbsdown.gif

Trials_N_Error Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trials_N_Error Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #13 of 15

I'm not sure what happened to my fondant... It was fine last night... not greasy at all. I took it out of the fridge to work on it some more this morning and after it sat out for a little bit, the fondant looks like a big greasy mess. Uhg!

I know you guys are talking about the fondant when you are still rolling it (adding in the PS and all), but is there anything you can do to the fondant once it is on the cake? I was thinking is trying to lightly brush some PS on it to soak up the grease, but I don't want to ruin the cake.

Any help is always most appreciated! Thanks!

live laugh cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live laugh cake Posted 24 Dec 2013 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckief 

Is there a way I can fix this? I did MMF with crisco and PS. But its just too greasy. This is my first time using fondant of any type. I am just playing around, teaching myself.....I have colored it, is it too late for a fix???

Thanks!

I did this too. It was nearly impossible to shape the fondant! Can someone please gift us some advice on better fondant that we can control and shape? 

Thank you! Happy Holidays!! :)

cmnmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmnmaldonado Posted 25 Dec 2013 , 10:58am
post #15 of 15

AYou should use another recipe, I tried some, but the best for me is the fondant recipe from : http://thecookduke.com/fondant-recipe/. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%