I Thought I'd Share My First Fondant Pinecones...

Decorating By KathyTW Updated 24 Dec 2008 , 9:01pm by KathyTW

KathyTW Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:06am
post #1 of 19

This is my first attempt at creating pinecones ... I didn't wan't to do them out of buttercream since all the other decorations for the cake will be fondant - so I gave it a shot....I would do things different next time but I think they'll work fine for the cake I'm working on now.

I used leftover (from July) chocolate MMF which was made from choc marshmallows I found at Walmart this summer and a little leftover WCF I made a couple of weeks ago that was way too soft, and then I mixed in a little tylose powder so it would dry a little faster.

Any suggestions for improvement will be appreciated!
LL
LL

18 replies
indydebi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:17am
post #2 of 19

wow, those look pretty good! Doesn't look like a first-time project. thumbs_up.gif

Shyanne_Mommy Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:17am
post #3 of 19

Well I think they look GREAT!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 19

Oh they look adorable ! You did a great job on them .. The only think I can see is maybe change the rounded middle a little bit.. Im not sure how ,maybe not so big or so rounded?? But then again what do I know ! Nicely done !!

sugarwishes Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:39am
post #5 of 19

WOW those are awesome!!! what did you use for the center? i can't believe this was your first time making them!!! i dont see how you can improve, THEY'RE PERFECT!!! i love em

terrylee Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:49am
post #6 of 19

There perfect.......Great job....post the cake if you can.....

JenniferMI Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:50am
post #7 of 19

Those are really nice!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

kandu001 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 19

Adorable! You did a great job!

peg91170 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 19

I think they look awesome! I wouldn't even begin to think of how to make them. Would love to see the completed cake when it's finished.

MistyGirl2008 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 19

They look wonderful - would love to see the finished cake also!

hilly Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 19

Those look great!!

sparklepopz Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 4:24am
post #12 of 19

Definitely awesome! I would just make the next batch of them with a pointy tip and pointy "petals." Pinecones are sharp little suckers!

Yours are adorable. icon_smile.gif

cakedout Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 3:51pm
post #13 of 19

They are great! Now it makes me wanna go try some!

I'd agree with the pointed 'petals'...also I think they should be a bit thinner...then I'd go so far as to either airbrush or dust the base of the petals a darker color to give it some 'depth'.

OK, I wasn't gonna make a Christmas cake for the fam....but now I want to go make pine cones!!! icon_lol.gif

LoriMc Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 19

Do you need some type of flower former or cutter for those? I would love to learn how to make them.

majormichel Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 19

Nice, please tell me how you did them?

SugarBakerz Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:40pm
post #16 of 19

very nice, thanks for sharing!!!!

KathyTW Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:26pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you all for the great comments and suggestions - I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

The center was just a "sausage" roll of fondant that I attached the petals to. And that is one of my issues with the way they look...they need work - I think I'll try to get the top petals up higher so you barely even see the center.

And the thickness of the petals was another issue, you might be able to see the upper right pinecone the petals are a little thinner - but by making them thinner they didn't want to stand up well, they kinda looked more like a rose petal...btw I just used one of the teardrop shaped petal cutter from one of the wilton sets (about the size of a nickle).

And I like the idea of airbrushing them after they're done. I still may do that before I finish the cake on Wednesday. One thing I was also trying to do was to add "snow" of some kind - but I'm still thinking that one through!

Thanks again for all the input - it's exactly what I needed. I'll post the finished product as soon as I can!

K

KoryAK Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:13am
post #18 of 19

The time I had to make pinecones, I just put a glob of brown fondant on a toothpick and snipped away at it with scissors (snipped it into points, not removing any fondant) then airbrushed with more brown and they looked really nice. Yours are beautiful... but the other way was FAST! icon_smile.gif

KathyTW Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 9:01pm
post #19 of 19

Finished Project:

I ended painting the pinecones with a little airbrush color in vodka to get a darker color (not quite as dark as it seems in the photo) and then sprinkled on clear edible glitter flakes to kinda look like snow.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%