Wedding Cake Questions, Help Please!

Decorating By akgirl10 Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 8:12pm by tonedna

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 16

I'm doing a cake for my friend's mom's wedding, here's a picture of what she wants. Does this look like a 6,8, and 10 inch cake?

Also, any advice on how to attach gumpaste roses to the cake? I've been practicing making them, and I'm wondering if I make them on toothpicks if it will work to stick them into the cake. I'm not doing the fondant, just buttercream.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
LL

15 replies
firechef2586 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firechef2586 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 16

I have never used gum paste flowers so i am no help there but to me this looks like an 8 10 12 also with how tall the cakes are i believe that each cake is 6" meaning 3 (2") layers or 2 (3") layers hope this helps a little bit

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 16

I believe that the cake is a 6", 8", and 10". Yes, you can make your roses on toothpicks. I like to make them on toothpicks and stick them in a piece of styrofoam. I just stick them in the cake. On rare occasions ( very warm weather) they may start to pull downward because of the weight. You can also cut the toothpicks off with wire cutters for on the top of the cake.

Jo

akgirl10 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks. Regarding the top tier, should I get a small piece of styrofoam to create the topper, or just kind of pile them up? I'd like to do as much before delivering, to minimize set up.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 16

Tiers really look 4" tall to me. And no matter what dimensions in the picture you must make your cake to provide the number of servings needed. And these days, I buy my gumpaste roses already on wires and then air brush them the color I need them to be.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:00am
post #6 of 16

Leah,

Where do you buy your gumpaste roses? Thanks.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:09am
post #7 of 16

...........Tiers really look 4" tall to me. And no matter what dimensions in the picture you must make your cake to provide the number of servings needed........

So, so true. Don't try to figure out what is in a pic. That can be soooooo deceiving. One time a gal posted a pic & asked what size every thought it was ....... there were guess all the way from 4,6,8 to 10,12,14. In reality she said it was a close up of a 2,4,6 cake.
Here's a line to a similar one I made:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=28124

akgirl10 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 16

Kakeladi, that's a beautiful cake! I was going to do an 8, 10, and 12 anyways, so I guess it should look similar in proportion to the picture.

Leah, I too wonder where you order flowers from. I ordered a couple and they didn't look very nice to me. I didn't know airbrushing worked for gumpaste flowers, that might help me get the red I need.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 16

I've been attaching my figures and flowers with royal icing. it dries very hard.

gales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gales Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 16

A question from a person who only works with fondant and gumpaste:- Won't the buttercream touching the roses make the gumpaste roses go soft and possibly disintegrate?

I suppose though you use buttercreams that crust over a little, in the UK we dont, our buttercreams stay soft and the high proportion of fat in the buttercream reacts with the fondant if its left together for any length of time.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 16

There is this other cake company in town that I really admire, we cater to such different markets that we really are not competition. I check their website often, then I saw them at a bridal show and I was shocked! This one cake on their website looks like a full cake and it was at the show and it was mini! Like a 4 tier cake that was 10" tall. crazy! crazy I say!

Make whatever you need to suit your guests. discountsugarflowers.com for pre-made roses.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:15am
post #12 of 16

To me the deal with that cake--well but I mean it depends on do they want a 3-tier stacked cake decorated with little scallops and a red rose cascade or do they want that cake?

If they want that cake I think the biggie is the size of those roses. They seem to be about 2 inches across the top give or take. But they appear to be large roses or a small cake. I mean two roses side to side would cover the distance from top to bottom of one tier don't you think?

So that proportion is your key to getting the cascade right on.

And does it seem like a crimped fondant covered cake? Because the wiggly around the middle of the tier appears to be inverted, smushed in rather than piped on. And the little scallops around the top seem to be crimped.

So just the doing it in buttercream will change it up completely. So I'd advise them of that if it was moi.

Just some cake observations.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:34am
post #13 of 16

K8 you are right on w/you observations! All of it. Yes, it is a fondant cake w/crimping decos and yes, those roses must be every bit of 2" across.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:28am
post #14 of 16

I buy my flowers too and I get em from unitedsugardesign.com. They are really nice and helpful, the product is great, and the couple of times I have had breakage or the wrong product shipped they just shipped more right out and didn't make me send the first stuff back!

akgirl10 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 7:54pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks everyone for your input. She def. wants buttercream, the rose cascade is the most important aspect.

If you could see a bigger picture, the top scallop is piped, the middle is crimped. I have advised her to perhaps pick a different detail for the middle, or go plain.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 16

I do cascades all the time in buttercream, I do prefer wires more than toothpicks.. Royal Icing wont hold your flowers on buttercream, but even with the wire I put a bit of buttercream to glue the rose to the cake.
I agree the sizes are 10,8, 6..4 inches tall...Crimpers wont help much in buttercream but impression mats or stamps can fake it a bit..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%