Another Scam-New Name To Watch For

Business By cfao Updated 21 Dec 2008 , 5:42am by cakesdivine

cfao Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone,

Just received this email, same old scam, new contact name. Here it is:

Good day,
i will like you have a wedding cake baked for my upcoming wedding. My wedding is
coming up on the 17th of January 2009 so please let me know if this is possible
and also get back to me with a quote of a 3 tier cake capable of feeding 150
guests. Please note that you need not worry about shipping cuz i have a personal
shipper who will handle it and also do you accept credit cards??
I hope to hear from you soon.

Paul Christiano.

Paul Christiano <[email protected]>

10 replies
cakerygirl Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 11

I almost believed this guy because I insisted that I needed to be contacted by phone if he wanted to talk about the cake and he did - many times. He emailed me credit info complete with addresses and cvv numbers etc. It was the fact that he wanted to buy a 550 dollar cake and pay 1000 to a shipper that got me. That just makes no sense what so ever. LOL. Anyway - SCAM - Big time. He is still emailing me trying to convince me that he is not a scammer. Seeing this post just proves it to the fullest.

lainalee Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 11

Sounds like another way to launder money. The Patriot Act has really made these guys a whole lot more clever.

mommicakes Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 11

I got this one too a few days ago. In fact, two times. What does he think, I'm not a moron. No shipping of my cakes by any means. icon_biggrin.gif

cakerygirl Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 11

I had a different one a few months back using email because "i am deaf" - He called himself Charlie "Lucky" Luciano. The name sounded too familiar and upon googling it found out why LOL!!

kelleym Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainalee

Sounds like another way to launder money. The Patriot Act has really made these guys a whole lot more clever.

It's nothing as complicated as money laundering ("to conceal the source of money as by channeling it through an intermediary" - I love Office Space icon_lol.gif ). It's just scam and theft. The credit card number is stolen and either the merchant or the victim of the theft will be on the hook for the monies paid to the "shipper".

Always trust your gut. If you think "this is weird", then it IS.
Never accept payment for more than the amount of the cake.
Never pay a "shipper".

tinygoose Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 11

you should report him. to who? I'm sure someone on here would know.

littlecake Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 11

i had this too last january...they are most likely in another country.

Monkess Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 11

I wish they would contact me-would love to vent and give him a earful about where he is heading with these activities!! lol...aw shucks..

mkolmar Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 11

OMG cakerygirl. They actually used a gangsters name from back in the day?!

cakesdivine Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:42am
post #11 of 11

Yes I got the same one but I told him I only would do the delivery and it must not be more than 100 miles from my location, no shipping of wedding cakes, and the cost would depend on the cake chosen minimum cost $500 and he must contact me via phone to set up a consultation as I will not do a cake client unseen. I never heard back from him.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%