Ornament Cakes

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 20 Dec 2008 , 11:53pm by GI

msnrozier Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:28am
post #1 of 6

hello,

I used the mini ball pan to make my ornaments, but that was it, just covering it with fondant, but how do you get it smooth all the way around??
I am trying to upload a pic in this post so ppl can see what I mean. How do you place a pic in a post??

TIA

Nikki[/img]

5 replies
GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:20am
post #2 of 6

Hi! icon_biggrin.gif

Did you read the tutorial on how to make the ornaments? Are these the ones you are referring to? Did you frost them first, before covering with fondant? If the frosting isn't relatively smooth, it can make the fondant kind of bumpy. I would ice first with crusting Buttercream, let it crust a bit, then try smoothing with a roller or with the paper towel. see if that won't work for you. (I would also try to place your ornament cakes where they need to be, so as not to handle as much.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/article68-Christmas-Ornament-Cupcakes.html

I am technically challenged and can't figure out for the life of me how to post a pix in a POST. You'd think I know by now, but I don't. I can barely get 'em to show up in the Galleries, but that's only 'cuz Jackie/Heath fixed it so it will upload at correct size.

I know the pictures have to be fairly small in pixles... icon_redface.gif let me know if you can figure it out. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 6

It sound to me like you are referring to the bottom of the ornament/ball. This is the same problem everyone has w/fondanticon_smile.gif
You just have to roll the fondant bigger than you need, then at the bottom, lightly pull it away from the cake, stretching it just a bit to remove any folds or gathers, smoothing down w/your hand. Once you have gone all the way around the cake, cut off the excess w/a pizza wheel cutter.
Some people find it helpful to elevate the cake on something that is a bit smaller than the cake -- like maybe a Crisco can so the fondant hangs down then you can cut it off easily. But....you have to work quickly if you do this or the fondant might tear where you don't want it toicon_sad.gif

GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 6

kakeladi Ihaven't ever tried making these yet, but your tips are really good to know. (These always had a deceiving "difficult" look to them.)

kakeladi Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 6

The minis are so much fun and easy to do you really need to give it a try. Of course they can represent *any* ball.....basket; base; tennis; or Christmas tree ornaments.......and I'm sure many other things I'm not thinking about right nowicon_smile.gif

GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 6

Hm, I never thought of trying mini's before. icon_rolleyes.gif Well, duh! (Perhaps next time I make mini muffins, I'll save some to practice with icon_biggrin.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%