I Need A Recipe Advice!

Decorating By liapsim Updated 24 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

liapsim Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:01am
post #1 of 24

Does anyone know of a good chocolate icing recipe that is not "grainy" in texture? I have tried a couple of recipes and they all seem grainy-I guess from sugar-and I can't stand them.

So I need something that spreads easily, is smooth, and isn't grainy in texture.....Any advice?

TIA

23 replies
JenniferMI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:07am
post #2 of 24

I made the Wilton choc. icing recipe only used the coffee creamer as the liquid, I think I used some Sweetex, too. It was much better than usual!

Jen icon_smile.gif

liapsim Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:10am
post #3 of 24

Thanks! I will look into it and see if that will work!

liapsim Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:14am
post #4 of 24

Jennifer MI...the only 2 Wilton is listing is chocolate buttercream and chocolate fudge....which one do you use?

ceshell Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:54am
post #5 of 24

Try this one, it is fudgy and not grainy at ALL. Scroll down to txkat's post http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-50072-.html

It's terrific, and although it is thick it IS spreadable. I highly recommend it! Unless you want to go the italian meringue buttercream route, oh that stuff is soo good chocolatized (did I make up that word?).

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:13am
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Try this one, it is fudgy and not grainy at ALL. Scroll down to txkat's post http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-50072-.html

It's terrific, and although it is thick it IS spreadable. I highly recommend it! Unless you want to go the italian meringue buttercream route, oh that stuff is soo good chocolatized (did I make up that word?).

this might just be the one I'm looking for! is it granulated sugar? does it dissolve well? Thanks ceshell!

liapsim Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:22am
post #7 of 24
Quote:

LOL...thanks so much Ceshell! I will take a look at them both, and probably make both, and see how they taste.

And chocolatized is such a splendid word!

liapsim Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #8 of 24
Quote:

Hey Ceshell...If I am doing it for a 8" round cake, 6" tall, do you think I should double it?

Thanks!

ceshell Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:44am
post #9 of 24

It is indeed granulated sugar. It completely dissolves; you won't believe you used granulated sugar! As for the quantity...I don't remember how much it makes, but this recipe can be found all over the internet by googling "'evaporated milk' sugar blender" and the results I'm getting state that it makes 1- 3/4 cups, "enough to fill and frost a 2-layer cake". So I'd say at least 1.5 it...although if you have more than one layer of filling you'll want to double it. JMO!!

Interestingly I am also finding a version that only uses 1c evaporated milk, but then adds 6 tbsp butter...in which case they state that it makes 3 cups. I've never tried it that way but it sounds yummy...mmm...butter...

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 24

If it's as thick and as yummy as you say it is then I think you won't be needing a thick layer of frosting... when I make it for other people the frosting won't be thick but for my own cake.... hmmm... what do you mean cake? I'll eat it straight from the blender. My poor poor hips. LOL

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to using it. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 24

Straight from the blender, yes, I highly recommend it!

liapsim Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 4:42am
post #12 of 24

Sounds fantastic! Thanks for the advice...I really appreciate it!

ceshell Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:41am
post #13 of 24

By the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

If it's as thick and as yummy as you say it is then I think you won't be needing a thick layer of frosting...

You should be punished for even uttering such a thing!! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:48am
post #14 of 24
Quote:

By the way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

If it's as thick and as yummy as you say it is then I think you won't be needing a thick layer of frosting...

You should be punished for even uttering such a thing!! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

for OTHER people. not for me. hahaha I am known for being skimpy on frosting for other people. then I just eat the left over frosting. hey! I need a reward too. icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 24

Sorry for the double post. But I just tried this recipe and it's amazing! I love it! Thanks for introducing this to me ceshell and txkat! icon_smile.gif I Will use it forever.

ceshell Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:59pm
post #16 of 24

Yahoo! Thanks for reporting back, I always wonder if people like things I pass along icon_wink.gif

As for the frosting amounts, yeah I always CRINGE when I see those plates where they scrape off the icing, esp when it's good icing (I admit scrape off the powdered sugar stuff too when there's too much). But Ganache, or IMBC? I want to slap them: EAT THE ICING YOU FOOL!!!

FullHouse Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:17pm
post #17 of 24

That sounds fabulous, now I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the info. Merry Christmas!!!

Donnagardner Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:34pm
post #18 of 24

What kind of sugar do you use for this?

CakesByLJ Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:39pm
post #19 of 24

ceshell.... can you pipe with this icing? Have you tried the recipe with the butter yet? One more question... icon_smile.gif What kind of chocolate do you use?

ceshell Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:29am
post #20 of 24

This recipe is used with plain old granulated white sugar believe it or not.

LJ: I have not tried piping with the icing, nor have I tried the butter version, but I am curious and am thinking about using it for my next cake. I love to experiment! The first time I made it, I just used everyday supermarket Baker's unsweetened chocolate and it tasted great! I don't know if it can be improved upon by using premium chocolate but I have a bar of unsweetened Sharffen-Berger that wants to find out icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:42am
post #21 of 24
Quote:

This recipe is used with plain old granulated white sugar believe it or not.

LJ: I have not tried piping with the icing, nor have I tried the butter version, but I am curious and am thinking about using it for my next cake. I love to experiment! The first time I made it, I just used everyday supermarket Baker's unsweetened chocolate and it tasted great! I don't know if it can be improved upon by using premium chocolate but I have a bar of unsweetened Sharffen-Berger that wants to find out icon_smile.gif

Ohhh, now that does make my mouth salivate... I will definately have to try it; but unfortunately, it will have to be after the holidays.. If you break that bar open, you be sure to report back the results.. as will I... icon_biggrin.gif Happy Holidays ceshell..

liapsim Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:15am
post #22 of 24

CeShell....Again, thanks for the recipe advice! I did use your recipe and it was to die for! What makes it even better was that it was soooo simple!

Also, to answer the question about piping, I didn't have a lot to really pipe, but it did pipe pretty well at room temperature.

Thanks again!

ceshell Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:52am
post #23 of 24

You are welcome, and thanks to txkat for originally posting it! Even though it's easily found on the internet, I never would have thought to try it if it weren't for her glowing review.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm
post #24 of 24

ceshell i would have never believed it was edible if I didn't hear it from you guys. LOL But yes it is sooo awesome (sorry I'm still on a Bolt high)

The mom I made one of the cakes for told my mama that her sons were thisclose to licking the icing that fell on the cake board LOL

I also used the "cheap" chocolate just to test it and it turned out, well, BEYOND awesome LOL I dunno if you can pipe with this. I had some leftover (I was gonna die from chocolate if I finished all of it) and it stayed thick but soft, silky smooth. I used it as filling for the sugar cookies I made. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%