Cake Half Done, Party Cancelled ... Now What?

Decorating By __Martha__ Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 12:17pm by Kim_in_CajunCountry

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 35

I was making a cake for my office party tonight (pot luck). The weather here is brutal and the party has been cancelled. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have a WASC cake with SMBC icing and sleeved fruit filling sitting in the garage waiting for fondant and decorations.

Can I freeze it at this point, or should I just keep decorating and start handing it out to the neighbours? icon_smile.gif It should serve about 40!

34 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 35

You can freeze it. Wrap it in double saran wrap and then foil. Freeze and when you defrost it leave the wrap on until it's thawed and remove it then. It should thaw in a fridge in 12-24 hours. icon_smile.gif

__Martha__ Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 35

Thanks, Lorrie. I guess I will start wrapping it up. The party has been re-booked for January, so it should keep until then.

Did the storm hit you up in Ottawa? I'm in London and it's awful down here.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 35

Hi Martha, The snow just started up here in Ottawa, but we're only supposed to be getting about 2 to 4cm (the edge of the storm). I was talking to my mom this morning (who lives in Burlington), and she said it looked pretty bad - a good day to stay inside!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 35

PICK ME, PICK ME! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

(you can just pop it in the mail...heh heh, I'll take care of it for you.)

__Martha__ Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

PICK ME, PICK ME! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

(you can just pop it in the mail...heh heh, I'll take care of it for you.)

Too late! It's in the freezer and I will thaw it out maybe at Christmas, but even then, that's a lot of cake. Not much family coming this year. I might just have to plan a party. icon_wink.gif

__Martha__ Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

Hi Martha, The snow just started up here in Ottawa, but we're only supposed to be getting about 2 to 4cm (the edge of the storm). I was talking to my mom this morning (who lives in Burlington), and she said it looked pretty bad - a good day to stay inside!

Yes, it looks like you'll just get the tip of it. All our schools were closed here today and many events cancelled tonight. The snow has finally stopped, but only the main roads are plowed. They'll just get them all done and the Saturday night/Sunday storm that's coming will hit. icon_rolleyes.gifAnd it's not even winter yet!!!!

We are just staying in from now until Christmas. thumbs_up.gif Have a good holiday everyone.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 35

Shucks!!! birthday.gificon_smile.gif Well, have fun at your party. party.gificon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 35

Snow? Whats that?
Oh wait is that the pretty white stuff that falls from the sky?
We here in Texas don't see much of that,the closest we get to snow is 100% humidty on a cold day icon_razz.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

Snow? Whats that?
Oh wait is that the pretty white stuff that falls from the sky?
We here in Texas don't see much of that,the closest we get to snow is 100% humidty on a cold day icon_razz.gif

LOL icon_lol.gif , just cause you said that we will get this massive snow storm, like Texas has never seen!! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 35

That would be something, people will be putting snow chains on their horses icon_lol.gif

__Martha__ Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 12:21am
post #12 of 35

Las Vegas got dumped on. It looks pretty funny to see snow on palm trees.

The snow is quite pretty (as long as you are not the shoveller). Most of the neighbours are out right now snowblowing. They'll all be having cocktails at the end of somebody's driveway any minute now, freezing their butts off. Canada, what can I say, we are 'different'!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:41am
post #13 of 35

Hey...Gotta love the frozen north...we are -38 degrees here!!! Brrrrrrr

CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 3:39am
post #14 of 35

-38 ? as in 38 degrees below 0 ?!?! Holy Cow thats cold!
We were in the 70's today.
I lived in Lubbock (north Texas) for awhile and the coldest it got was -7 degrees,needless to say I did'nt leave the house that day.
I complain about the warm weather down here but the truth is I would'nt trade it.

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 35

Okay...I have to do it! For those of you in the nice, warm south...here is a photo from last year's winter - we came SO close to breaking an alltime snowfall record here in Ottawa! Just to keep in mind when you are looking, the bush in the photo beside my kids is over 6 feet tall...
LL

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 1:52pm
post #16 of 35

My kids have never experienced snow! We had some flurries a couple years ago and they LOVED it. I am in NC and today is will be in the 70's!! I want snowwwwwwwww!!! icon_cry.gif I bet you guys wish it would STOP snowing. Stay warm! icon_biggrin.gif

__Martha__ Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 1:56pm
post #17 of 35

This is a picture from last March of my grandson who was about 1 1/2 at the time. I think we are heading toward snow much the same this year. I blame the Great Lakes. We are so close to most of them and the weather people are always talking about 'lake effect' weather.

We have a bit of a repreive today and then another storm is supposed to hit tonight, followed by another on Tuesday. We are going out today for the turkey and trimmings, just in case!

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:03pm
post #18 of 35

Happy Birthday Martha!! birthday.gif

Man, I hope we don't get as much snow as we did last year - we didn't know where to put it anymore at the end of the season!

Stay safe and warm during the next few days - we're supposed to get both storms this time too! thumbsdown.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:35pm
post #19 of 35

I WANT SNOW IN KENTUCKY!!!!! We got a little on Tuesday and then it was 68 degrees yesterday! YUCK! SANTA needs SNOW! LOL

LOVE the picture of your grandson Martha.....I want to just PINCH THOSE CHEEKS!!!

Beth in KY

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:36pm
post #20 of 35

Wow, Martha! That's a lot of snow! We're in South Louisiana where we sometimes get flurries, maybe a few flakes, but no accumulation. But this year, surprise! Some northern parts of the state got upwards of five inches!

Here are some pics I snapped from my yard. Probably insignificant to those of you who are used to getting snow, but a rare sight in these parts.

This first one was taken looking out from my front yard to the property across the road. The tall, brown foliage in the background is the edge of a sugarcane field!

This is a sago palm in my landscaping.

My house

My truck

Image[/img]

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:41pm
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

My kids have never experienced snow! We had some flurries a couple years ago and they LOVED it. I am in NC and today is will be in the 70's!! I want snowwwwwwwww!!! icon_cry.gif I bet you guys wish it would STOP snowing. Stay warm! icon_biggrin.gif

Mine either! Dsme goes for me....It's 70 degrees here today!!! We had a brief little shower of flurries 2 weeks ago, but nothing stuck. Would LOVE to show the kids some real snow.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:56pm
post #22 of 35

Oh my! I don't think I would be able to survive that much snow! It's been 78 degrees here in Georgia for the past week! Not much of a Winter Wonderland!

Stay warm everyone!

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 3:30pm
post #23 of 35

Anyone who wants to "experience" snow, I would be happy to trade houses for a week in January! I could even throw in a snowblower lesson so that you could leave the house to stock up on groceries! icon_wink.gif LOL - on a positive note, we do have great skiing up here! icon_rolleyes.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm
post #24 of 35

marmalade1687

I will take you up on the offer to trade houses. I'm tired of our weather! Beautiful then freezing - because of this I have a horrible cold!

I would love to see snow, the weather man is ticking me off - GIVE ME SNOW!

__Martha__ Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 6:37pm
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_in_CajunCountry

That is a beautiful picture, Kim!

__Martha__ Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 6:41pm
post #26 of 35

marmalade - Thank you for the birthday wishes!

For those of you who would like to see snow, I wish I could truck some down to you! Just what they clear off the ice rink every few hours would be great fun for kids that have never seen snow.

Check back in a few days, I have a feeling I am going to have some good snow pictures. I looked at the weather network satellite page and WOW - there is a big front coming that they say will now hit us on Christmas Eve. It's so pretty, but I have to say we get really sick and tired of it pretty quickly. icon_biggrin.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:39am
post #27 of 35

Just had to throw my two cents in real quick... I think if you leave the saran wrap on it til it's defrosted, the SMBC will stick to the wrap and come off since it is not a crusting buttercream. I would suggest removing the wrap as soon as it comes out of the freezer and letting it defrost uncovered.

__Martha__ Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:35am
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

Just had to throw my two cents in real quick... I think if you leave the saran wrap on it til it's defrosted, the SMBC will stick to the wrap and come off since it is not a crusting buttercream. I would suggest removing the wrap as soon as it comes out of the freezer and letting it defrost uncovered.

Actually, that makes sense. Thanks for letting me know.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:46am
post #29 of 35

OMG, those pics of all the snow and everyone in the deep cold. Sounds like to me you would have been safe to have wrapped the cake in saran wrap and left the cake in the garage. From all the snow you wouldn't have had to worry about it defrosting until May.

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:30am
post #30 of 35

As we say in Arkansas "If you don't like the weather, wait a day. It will change" We have had the worst case of fluctuating temps, and I am so sick of it. It is currently 14 degrees, but by Wednesday, it will be near 60 and 65 on the weekend. We had 2-3 inches of sleet this past Tues-Wed. and a man in my town actually died of hypothermia after falling outside and going unnoticed. On the rare occasion we get a significant snow (which is only 3-4 inches) people go crazy!! Store shelves are picked clean, schools close even before the snow starts, and before it has snowed 1/4 of an inch, there have been 30 accidents! Although it would be nice to see, if we got ANYTHING like the pics you all have posted, our town would be absolutely crippled for weeks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%