Snow Storm Hype

Lounge By mellormom Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 9:42pm by mommicakes

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 29

It's going to snow here in Boston today. (like it does every year) So quick go to the grocery store and buy everything off the shelves while shoving people who are in your way. (Market basket) Now that you have finally made it home quickly turn on the news so you can see how devastating the storm is going to be. (cue the doom music on the news) Then panic that you will be caught in the middle of it and leave early from work like everyone else so you can get stuck in traffic for hours. (last year the record was 7-10 hours but my hubby made his 20 minute commute in only 3 hours. I'm so proud! icon_smile.gif )
So now that you have that hurdle over with and you are finally home quickly turn on the news so they can tell you (at the exact location even the highway) that it is still snowing and that the waves are big on the coast. (otherwise how would you know!?) Now that you have accomplished all that in the devastating storm get in your suv or pick-up and go barreling down the highway. (you have 4 wheel drive so you are invincible and more important than the other drivers!?)
Then come back home because by now you are exhausted. (don't forget to turn on the news to check if it is still snowing out and if the waves are still big andif the wind is blowing the reporter's hair all around) Now finally get in your warm pajamas and try to sleep. (with all the panic it may be hard)

Some in MA are still feeling the effects of the ice storm and are having a very hard time right now and I'm not making fun of that at all! This was just a funny vent. Yesterday at Market Basket people were shoving me out of the way when I was coming in and every isle was jammed with people who obviously needed to go before everyone else because they are much more important and they should get the stuff for the "big" storm first! (they need to widen the isles at MB icon_smile.gif ) Plus it is funny to see the news and how they hype it up so much! My husband and I just laugh. icon_smile.gif I love it when they point out the obvious!
Well I guess I've stalled enough. I must go clean my house now. LOL
Jen...

28 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 29

Were digging out today in Detroit, not a fun day. I have almost ten inches in the driveway. Dam corner lots.

Mike

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 29

Hype is right! Its winter what do you expect!! All glories to a hot cuppa chocolate!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 29

We've had ice storms predicted for the past 2-3 days and we've gotten nothing! It's like the weather folks get off on predicting bad weather as if it's the only thing they are actually paid to do. God forbid they come on TV and tell us it's not going to be bad ... no-o-o-o-o-o-o! It has to be OMG level weather so they can feel important or something!

Cracks me up when people rush to buy all the "milk and bread" before a big storm warning. Me? No way! I'm stocking up on tampons and toilet paper! You can live without food for a few days, but you lock 3 people up in a snow-blocked house for 3 days with no tampons and toilet paper and I'm tellin' ya, blood will be shed and lives will be lost if the on-hand supply of these two items get down to zero-on-hand!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 29

Sorry, long reply

While living in Vermont, we get the gammit of weather. We too were lucky (unlucky) to get the ice storm here. Lucky for us here at my house, we did not lose our electricity. Unlike my brother and parents in MA. My parents finally got theirs back after 1 1/2 days, and my brother is still without his. I agree with Indydebi about the TP & tampons, here in my household, if I don't have at least a couple boxes of cereal, and some other stuff, my kids would probably try to eat the furniture. (lol) icon_lol.gif Having taught a disaster preparedness class, I have our kit at the ready all the time. I live next to a dairy farm, so milk wouldn't be such a big deal, and I have chickens too, so I count myself lucky. I do worry about those still without the power, and what the next storm has in store (it is snowing like a bugger out right now). I'm closed in for the night, as long as I can still hop onto CC life is good! icon_biggrin.gif

Please everyone check on your neighbors, and stay safe and warm. icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 12:12am
post #6 of 29

Kyle had no school on Monday due to 3 inches of snow.

It turned into all ice that evening and worse at night so no school Tuesday.

Wednesday the bus arrived with chains he had a 1/2 day scheduled already so was home early. Thursday conditions were beautiful but cold and he boarded the non chained bus.

Not even 2 inches of snow last night and they had another snow day. ARGH!

I guess they considered the week a "wash" at 5am today since the district was already out 2 days, and it was the last day before Christmas break.

2 inches with clear roads and they closed school!!!! UGH! I can't get anything done with him home so I am declaring tomorrow a day of house cleaning in all rooms.

Sunday is my birthday and I want a clean house for it.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 1:17am
post #7 of 29

well we got hit with the storm today as well ... it started around seven this morning and quit around four this afternoon .. almost a foot of snow fell ... wasn't a big deal for me as I had no intentions of going anywhere, but my dh had to go to work and was on the road in our small compact car with all the 4x4's out there as well ... everyone except for three people at his worked showed up in 4 wheel drive trucks and everyone got stuck in the parking lot except for him ... glad we got a new set of tires on the car last monday otherwise he'd probably still be sitting there cause I wouldn't be going out there to get him! He came home early and waited out the storm then spent an hour shoveling the snow from the driveway ... now we are preparing for another storm this sunday ...

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 1:22am
post #8 of 29

Ok.....I WISH I could complain about snow! I'm unfortunately in North Carolina and it was around 76 degrees. No kidding! NOT happy at all about that! I grew up in Germany and we had WONDERFUL snowy Christmas's almost every year! Boo Hoo! I miss the snow!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:39am
post #9 of 29

Well you could all have temperatures like us for the last week....-38 degrees with a wind chill...which means that exposed flesh will freeze in 2 minutes!! Oh yah...and 3 feet of snow and more coming too!!! Gotta love the frozen north!

Happy Holidays!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

mellormom Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:55am
post #10 of 29

We were supposed to get 1-2 inches an hour. I still have yet to see the snow fall that hard. We are also supposed to get 8-10 inches but we are not even close to that yet. We also couldn't watch anything but the news all afternoon because this is such a bad storm and we need to know how bad it is every second. The anchor man actually said: "We now will quickly tell you the news and then get right back to the storm coverage. We got two seconds of news the entire afternoon! After a while you get a headache from them talking so much crap! They actually reported from the mall to report that no one was there. (because heaven forbid you do not know the status of the mall. LOL )
At least everyone stayed home today so there was no 7 hour gridlock like last year. (except for my husband of course)
And yes, think of those who are still without power (over a week now). This just adds to the hardship they already have!
Jen...

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 3:28am
post #11 of 29

We were supposed to get 10". I'm not sure what we got, but I'd say it was like 6 or less. We still have not been plowed, though, so we can't get out of our development b/c we are at the bottom of a huge hill. Tampons? check Milk? check TP? check Wine? double check, although it is dwindling......

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:55am
post #12 of 29

A fellow Massachusetts girl checking in. 12 inches on the ground with more to come on Sunday. Looks like a white Christmas this year! (I'm in southeastern MA, closer to Providence, RI)

Wine....check, wine.....check, wine.....check!! icon_lol.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 6:31am
post #13 of 29

Wow! icon_eek.gif You guys have some crappy weather! We had 2-hr delay schools all week. heh heh, I'm off work.... icon_biggrin.gif But I return on Monday. It's been butt-cold all stinking week long. Like 0 deg., 5-below, whoopie today it was 9!

Yeah, I agree with you Mike, stupid corner lots. Have had to push the snow out of the way, around the corner, extra wide sidewalks, you know--for those extra-wide USA Americans... shhh.gif

I've already used up 30-lbs of icemelt. Stinking environmentally friendly ice melt. icon_twisted.gif Mostly dirt!!! I'm going back to the little white pellet! icon_rolleyes.gif

mellormom Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:04pm
post #14 of 29

Well it's the next day and we barely got 7 inches. But at least I get to sit here while my husband is freezing his butt off shoveling! LOL
Now back to chores!
Jen...

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:06pm
post #15 of 29

well, we got about a foot last night and its still snowing. Between this weekend and last i'm so far behind with Christmas stuff i might just have to call it done even if its not.

With the ice storm last weekend we were out of power for 3 days, my mom still didn't have power yesterday afternoon, but she was hopeful, cause they were setting new polls in front of her house.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 29

Hi Everyone,

I am located in central Mass about 10 south of the NH border. We lost power last Thursday night in the ice storm (Dec. 11) and just got power back this Wednesday afternoon (Dec. 17), and tv and internet yesterday. There are still quite a few in the area without power and water, most homes around here have wells and without power = no water. I tried to reach everyone who had cakes ordered for last weekend except one, which was for Sunday. She calls me Sunday morning around 9:00 to say she just got her power back and the party is on. She lives in a small city 20 miles east of me. I said that's wonderful she has power back, but I still do not, I did try to reach her on Friday to tell her I was shut down by the storm. She said it's too bad I still didn't have power, if she gave me an extra couple hours could I have her cake ready for around 12:00 because her party wasn't until 2:00. I asked if she had prepared any meals in the last 3 days for her family and she says no, she couldn't because the power was off. Well, I can't do your grandson's birthday cake for the same reason. She comes back with "how about at 1:00?". She just didn't get it that her cake wasn't coming from my bakery, the world truly revolves around that lady I guess.

We got about 10" of snow last night and they are saying another foot tomorrow - got to love New England.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 3:51pm
post #17 of 29

cfao.........you mean you haven't mastered the skill of baking a cake in your fireplace? Man, snow makes some people even more loopy than usual doesn't it?

We live on a very narrow, sparsely populated country road and we were constantly losing our power, even in the summer during an electrical storm our power would go out on just our street. So about 2 yrs ago we invested in a generator and had a separate electrical panel installed for our well water, furnace, and kitchen appliances. It has truly been a blessing and well worth the investment. We just push the generator outside of the garage, start it up and switch panels and voila we have the necessities of life. The only bad thing about it is.....now I am able to cook even when our electricity is out thumbsdown.gif We've become very popular with the few neighbors we do have>

So here in Southeastern Ma it's still snowing pretty heavily....what's up with that?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:16pm
post #18 of 29

Last weekend we were supposed to get several inches and high winds. We were lucky and only got about 1" but then it got COLD. The windchill was about -45 and the kids ran two hours late for three days in a row. They couldn't even get all the buses started Monday so some kids were 3 hours late because they ran a couple shifts of buses.

It's cold again right now and we're supposed to get more crappy windchills tomorrow.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:59pm
post #19 of 29

Mellormom you are sooo spoiled! icon_lol.gif However, don't all hubbies have thicker skin than us? icon_biggrin.gif

We didn't get any more snow last night but we are supposed to have a nice generous dump tonight and tomorrow. At least my environmentally-friendly ice-melt kept those extra wide sidewalks all nice and cleaned off!

cfao Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:38pm
post #20 of 29

dkelly,

We do have a generator that we hard wired our furnace into along with the neighbors pellet stove. We bought it about 2 years ago for our motorhome as a back-up generator "just in case", boy I'm glad we did. You know if that customer hadn't got her power back on I would have never heard from her until she had rescheduled the party. It's still snowing pretty heavy here and it was supposed to be done for today and start again tomorrow. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come and the whole winter is going to be like this.

We knew things weren't going well when the school district cancelled classes until Jan. 5 at the beginning of this week.

mellormom Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:23pm
post #21 of 29

It is Sunday now and still snowing. Plus now we have neighbor drama as well. Every year the neighbors across the street get a plow guy( old crotchety neighbors). And every year the plow guy plows it right into our bushes. So every spring our bushes are getting thinner and thinner. Finally now my husband just parks his car in front of the bushes so they can't plow the snow there. Well a few days ago they started getting the holiday crowd coming in so my husband decided to be nice and park in the driveway so the people would have room to park. Well wouldn't you know it.... they plowed the snow right into our bushes. So DH went over (as he does every year) and asked them nicely not to plow there. So the old man said sure. Then a few minutes later over comes some of his relatives to yell at my DH while he was shoveling. There excuse they gave was that the people were old and we should be understanding. icon_mad.gif (I guess if your old you can do anything you want just because your old!) So after that pair left another family member comes over to yell. My dh said don't talk to me. If you have a problem with me then have your Grandparents call the police like they do on every other neighbor. And she said she would. So far no cops though. LOL Little do they know that the lady I nanny for (7 1/2 years, considers me family) is a judge. So.... I hope they come again because I have her business card and I would love nothing more than to show it to them! LOL icon_twisted.gif
All the neighbors have issues with them so it's not just us. icon_smile.gif
I wonder what I will have to report tomorrow. LOL
Jen...

cfao Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm
post #22 of 29

Jen,

This snow is getting old at this point, don't you think??? At noon the weather person said we have now had constant snow for over 40 hours! Still snowing here and I'm west of you, so you still must have snow too. Tomorrow they said maybe 20 degrees, but the snow should stop.

Bev

mommicakes Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:48pm
post #23 of 29

It snowed yesterday all day lightly to flurries last night, and today, well, it's dark out now and 5:30 pm on Sunday, it started snowing here pretty steady about 8am and by noon we already had about a foot. We have shoveled the dooryard a few times already today, (kids even shoveled a little too). They gave us the phone call early this am about school being called off for Monday (it was only a 1/2 day anyway), but now they get to make this one up in June. Kids were a little disappointed because Monday was when the holiday parties were scheduled. (good thing I didn't make all those treats yet) they are going to have them after they get back in January. They are saying that the snow will stop sometime in the early morning tomorrow but then there is another batch coming in early in the week. Yahoo!!! I guess thats what I get for living in Vermont. It is pretty though.

Everyone keep safe and warm. AND..... PLEASE CHECK ON YOUR NEIGHBORS you just never know....

mellormom Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:51pm
post #24 of 29

cfao,
We are luckier over here then you guys on the west. We didn't get quite as much in yesterday's storm. But it is still snowing. Do you think they will have school tomorrow? I hope so! icon_smile.gif Otherwise I have to nanny for the whole day and night. icon_cry.gif If they go to school I only have to start at 3:30pm so pray for me! LOL
Jen...

cfao Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:58am
post #25 of 29

Hi Jen,

Last Thursday was the kids last day here, they cancelled all classes on this Tuesday until Jan. 5, so our kids will have plenty of make-up days. They are looking at either extending each day to make up the days since there are so many to make-up, or getting rid of April vacation. My son hopes for a daily extension, they are there already, just stay a little longer each day. I guess they can only go until July 1, so who knows what will happen if we have more snow days. We are 15 minutes west of Mt. Wachusett, you can see the ski mountain lights from our front picture window, so we get plenty of snow each year, but this is too much too early, especially right after just getting our power back.

Stay safe & warm,
Bev

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:02am
post #26 of 29

On Fri here in southcentral KY the temp reached about 73; 24 hrs later it was 48. Tonight they are predicting it will go down to 13. No snow; it did rain last night.

mellormom Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:10am
post #27 of 29

kakeladi,
don't you love it when the temp changes so quickly!?
Bring on the allergies! icon_cry.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 3:17pm
post #28 of 29

We don't have the snow here, but we sure have been having the temp changes. One day we are in the 70's and then immediate drop into the 30's within a few hours. This morning it is 24 and supposed to be going back up to 70 tomorrow. You are so right, bring on the allergies!

The thing about the hype, it works other ways too. In the summer her it is so hot, dry and no rain for so many days in a row, the weatherman gets absolutely giddy if he can find a cloud somewhere, and then tells us there is a "possibility" of rain, anything to make his "forecast" interesting.

Hope you all keep warm and stay healthy in all that cold and snow!

mommicakes Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:42pm
post #29 of 29

Well, here we are on Monday, the snow for the most part slowed to spitting sometime in the early am. Now, it is just SUPER windy. I had to shovel a path up to the shop where I have my chickens, and the stupid snowdrifts were up to my shoulders, (granted I'm only 5'2 1/2")
icon_redface.gif
I still had to get up there to feed and water them. The snow makes the sides of our road look like tunnels on a country road. It is a little pretty but kinda tricky to drive on. icon_eek.gif
The temps here are going to plummet all I can say is, I'm glad that my neighbors are going to all be getting goodie baskets for Christmas. icon_lol.gif Not only will the house be warm due to the stove, but it will smell wonderful too. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%