Pricing And Packaging

Baking By Lenette Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm by Busybear

Lenette Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 7

First pricing for decorated cookies

- I typically charge $1.50 for a 3-4 inch decorated cookie. Which up until now was fine because they really don't take me that long. Well, I did some of those cute snowman face cookies and some house shaped cookies and they have additional details which made them more time consuming so I feel they should command a higher price.

So, is there are rhyme or reason to how you price based on the amount of details, colors or something like that? I know many of you charge by the inch but that is a bit much for me.

One thing I did learn is to charge extra to bag and add ribbon. It's not so much the materials but it took me at least another hour (with my mom helping) to bag and do ribbon on all of those cookies!

Speaking of bagging, twice now I have sent out individually wrapped cookies with none of my info on them. I was thinking about some clear address labels with just my website on it. I want something to let folks know where the cookies came from in hopes of getting more business but I want it to be relatively unobtrusive. My cookie orders are picking up and I would like more.

The combo of packing and promoting is something I really struggle with so if you have any ideas I would appreciate it!

icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 7

I like you used to charge $1.50 per cookie.I have since learned and I think you have too that is too low for the amount of time and materials involved. If you factor in all the time to bake,decorate and package the cookies you should be charging at least $3.00 a cookie or more to make a profit....as for labels.I went onto Avery website...they make labels available at Staples etc..I used one of their free templates and created a ingredient label and added my website and phone number on as well.I put these on the back bottom of every cookie I send out.I print them from my own computer.HTH!

todolomio Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 7

Ok, I hear you just don't want piggyback or free ride on someone elses expense. That's nice however you can do it classy...Make a label for example if you are baking cookies for X-mas make a tag that says: Happy Holiday's from (who ever is giving the cookies) and in the back put a label with your web page & phone. I have a Cricut machine and print my message and cut out tags in nice colors and then I print in the computer my label. Of course you would need to add the price to your client for such a pretty presentation!!!

You see they are getting something and so are you.

Good luck!

Carol

TracyLH Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 12:11am
post #4 of 7

Hi Lennete - $1.50 for a 3 - 4" cookie seems mighty low. I know in different parts of the country, cookies will run at different prices. I would figure out exactly how many cookies you get out of one batch of dough and figure out your ingredient costs. Do the same for your icing. Once you see how many cookies you get out of a batch, divide that up and see how much it costs you per cookie. Now see how long it took you from start to finish to give you a rough idea to figure out how much you would earn per hour. Now look at possible competitors and what they charge. Your cookies are fresh - they aren't at Starbuck's and the ones I find at the grocery store are rather lacking in taste and appeal. These are just some thoughts.

Now that I have said all that, I will admit on my end that I don't make much at all per hour, but that is largely because I put far more detailing into my cookies than I should for the amount I charge, but that is my decision. I am trying though to pull back on detailing to make it a bit more reasonable for the time involved.

As for tags, I always put a white Avery label on the back of each bagged cookie with my name, number and a little slogan. I happen to use Avery 8160 (1" x 2 5/8"). If iIdo a foldover tag on the top of the cookie, the label goes on the back of that. I think a label is a great idea so the information is right there if someone needs it and it is not a matter of someone who is interested in your cookies having to get your info from the person who gave it to them.

Great idea to charge for packaging! That is a very good way to add a bit more as the cookies seem priced so low.

Best of luck to you in your cookie endeavors! icon_biggrin.gif

Lenette Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you all for your replies! I will evaluate my cookie prices soon and definitely will charge more for additional details and bagging.

I will look for the clear labels as well. I think it will be the best idea for right now to get my name out.

Thanks again!

icon_biggrin.gif

bailey4302 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:42am
post #6 of 7

Hi. I am starting to think I charge too low for my cookies now...I am also charging around 1.50 and that is bagged and with a ribbon. As for the labels, I went to vistaprint.com and got some address labels with my website and email address on it. It's the perfect size for all my items I sell. HTH!

Busybear Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 7

In Iowa, we sell decorated sugar cookies by the inch if that makes sense. For instance, a 3" in diameter cookie that's decorated and packaged with ribbon is $3.50.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%