Ironing Wax Paper Onto Ribbon - Need Help Quick!

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm by tracycakes

tracycakes Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 9

I'm working on a wedding cake that has a real ribbon around the bottom and it is not greaseproof. I'm trying to iron it onto wax paper, as I've seen on this site and it isn't working too well.

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions? Do I need a really hot iron? I'm also covering it with a tea towel so I don't melt the wax paper onto the iron. If this doesn't work, I'm headed out to buy the clear contact paper.

8 replies
lorrieg Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Tracy, I've done that and the iron has to be fairly hot but not HOT or you will melt everything. There really isn't enough wax on the paper these days to do a great job. I've tried the saran that sticks but you really need to leave it a titch bigger than the ribbon or else the edges of the ribbon will soak up the grease.

Have you done a test with a tiny bit of ribbon to see what it looks like when it soaks it up? It might look fine.

Do you have an Aunt Pam btw? Lorrie

mellormom Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 9

Could you put the iron on the ribbon side not the wax paper side? Maybe that would work? Or maybe a layer of piping gel then that would protect it from grease? Just grasping at straws here since I know you are in a hurry. icon_smile.gif
Not sure if I was any help but I thought I would try.

Suzycakes Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 9

Tracy what you are doing sounds right. After the ribbon cools you can feel a difference in it. I usually iron the was paper onto both sides of the ribbon and I have never had a problem with my b/c bleeding through. I usually keep my iron medium/high and I also use a thin tea towel.

tonedna Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 9

I avoid the issue by telling my brides that the ribbon will turn a shade darker.. They never have a problem with this.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

arosstx Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with Edna. For next time, just let them know in advance. I even 'pre-grease' the ribbon with a little shortening rubbed on it, then I wipe it off really well so it's not slimy of course. That way it doesn't get dark in spots and stay light in others.

I hope it goes well for you (and your cake)!

Shelly4481 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 9

If you let the frosting crust well then put the ribbon on you shouldn't have any problems. I have put ribbon on cakes alot and never had a problem with grease. Try it without anything, see if it works. Good luck.

annacakes Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 9

If I'm in doubt, I cut wax paper exact same width as my ribbon then attach wax paper to ribbon with double-sided tape. Works like a charm.

tracycakes Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone! I gave and bought some clear contact paper but I haven't done anything yet. It is taking my icing forever to crust so I can smooth the cakes. I'll give it another shot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%