Black Buttercream

Decorating By JMCUSTOM Updated 21 Dec 2008 , 2:43am by kimmy37

JMCUSTOM Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:11am
post #1 of 7

Help! I need to make black buttercream but when I make it, it comes out gray. How do I make it really black?

6 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:17am
post #2 of 7

If you let it sit for awhile it should darken. I've made gray before and it turned black after resting, same with red.
Or you can start out with chocolate buttercream and you won't have to add so much coloring.

kakeladi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 11:36am
post #3 of 7

Black, red, navy blue etc are all colors that really must be made about 24 hrs ahead of time.
For future info: save all your little dibs and dabs of icing - no matter what color - keep in a jar in the fzr until you need black or navy. Stir up and you will have an ugly 'base' color to which you add your black or navy paste/gel.
As the other poster said, adding choco is a big help for brown or black too. Improves the taste too icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 7

Good idea about saving all those little leftover colors,never thought about that!

tonedna Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 7

Just keep adding are not adding enough color, dont be scared to add.
In this video I am making brown, but is basically the same thing.. I never let my
buttercream rest since I have to work in a fast pace. But I do use colors that I dont need anymore and use them for black.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cathie_shinnick Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:24am
post #6 of 7

Let it sit ahile,I hadte same problem and when I added tomuc it turnd a shade of green, when I aded too much.Ad alittle at at time nd wait a bit to see if you need more

kimmy37 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:43am
post #7 of 7

If it's really dark gray, it will probably be black when it dries. If I need a lot of black, I usually makie chocolate buttercream then add black. Much easier that way. If I only need a little black, sometimes I just throw some cocoa powder in to turn it dark, then add black. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%