3-D Figure Question

Decorating By kellertur Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm by bashini

kellertur Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:10am
post #1 of 8

I'm sort of winging this and quickly learning this is NOTHING like working in clay... anyway:

When making 3-d figures, how do you work on them (360 degrees) without one side flattening out??? Or the whole things squishing down from the weight while it dries? I've tried foam and they still flatten.

I'm not used to working this small, and it's harder than I thought. Is there a tutorial somewhere?
I feel stupid asking this question... icon_redface.gif

thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
cathie_shinnick Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:17am
post #2 of 8

Actually dont feel stupid, I am wondering the same thing. I hope someone can help us

montanabaker Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:19am
post #3 of 8

Are you working with fondant or gumpaste? I think I've had better luck with gumpaste...it seems to dry quicker. I would just hold it in place until it dries... what are you making as a figurine anyway???
Good Luck. Sorry I probably wasn't much help. I'm new to it all too.

Price Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:28am
post #4 of 8

Depending of what type of figure you are trying to make, you can get your basic shape and then push it onto a small dowel. The dowel gives you something to hold on to while you are working and then you can stick the dowel in a piece of styrofoam to hold the item while it drys. I have done this with Christmas trees and also heads using a dowel.

If you are working with straight fondant, try adding a little tylose powder. It gives it more workability and helps it to dry.

CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:15am
post #5 of 8

I add tylose powder to my fondant, it strengthens it and makes it dry faster and harder.
I've also found it helps to make the part (arms,legs, head,body etc.) seperately, let them harden a little and then attach them all together,this cuts down on the squished look.
Oh and I usually put a toothpick or wooden skewer in the body to support the weight of the head,I do it for both animals and people.
HTH!

bashini Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:46am
post #6 of 8

50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant works well too. If you are making a sitting down figure, make it upto the neck and insert a dry speghetti from the neck. Then keep a small piece of sponge behind to support it. Let it dry and then add the head, let it dry and the do the hair. I highly recommend aine2's tutorials. I learnt a lot from them. Here is the link to het blog,

http://www.extra-icing.blogspot.com/

HTH.

kellertur Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the help. Hopefully they will come out ok when I'm done. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm using fondant right now (no tylose on hand). I do use spaghetti for supports. The other problem I've had is attaching limbs... they want to slide off even with spagetti, so I prop them against balled up paper towel. It takes forever for fondant to dry, I'm finding out...

You'd think I would know how to do this... icon_mad.gif I've done full size human figures... icon_mad.gif Working small is really HARD!!!!!

Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

bashini Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 8

What are you using to attach the limbs. I use the sugar glue, that aine2 shows on one of her videos. And if the hand should be a bit high, I use a piece of sponge to support it, until it gets dry.

Hope goes well for you.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%