Using A Foam Cake Dummy For Practice....

Decorating By LILBOBO1980 Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 11:26am by kakeladi

LILBOBO1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LILBOBO1980 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:26am
post #1 of 3

I really want to practice my decorating skills but I am sharing a kitchen with someone right now and so I really hate making all the messes. I was thinking about getting a foam cake to practice on but have never really seen much about it. Has anyone else used the foam cakes to practice on??? Did it work out good for you?

I am still going to bake cakes and decorate them when there is an event or to practice molding cakes but I can't do it every week etc.

Also, are there any tips for using the foam dummies?

2 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:56am
post #2 of 3

I have used dummies. I made few display cakes with them. If you are going to cover it with fondant, damp the dummy with a little bit of water. And when you are finished, soak in warm water and the fondant should come out easily. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 11:26am
post #3 of 3

Thay is an inexpensive way to practice. You can cover them w/press & seal plastic which will allow quick & easy clean up for the next type of practice you want.
The are other ways too: turn your cake pan over and practice on it. Use a cake circle (for tops) or stack up a bunch of circles into a 'cake' then cover w/foil or such.
I prefer styro besticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%