A Rather Colorful Rant....

Decorating By DsLady614 Updated 21 Dec 2008 , 10:34pm by DsLady614

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 13

I decided that I was going to make beautiful ornament cookies for a party we are going to. Burgundy, Royal Blue and Purple... sounds nice huh? SO I made my glace... colored same... and now that it's colored, I will cover it carefully and take this opportunity to blow PROFUSE RASPBERRIES at Wilton!!!!

I HATE THESE STUPID COLORS!! I'd be better off just painting the stupid paste straight on the cookies. Maybe THEN I'd get the color I was looking for! Why, when you know it'll take the ENTIRE container, would you sell it in such small sizes???? JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRR!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Now, I know the solution. Americolor!! I bought my first colors from them and made RED for the first time ever!! But, I just wanted to get it off my chest. When I get back to the US, I will never use this stuff again!!

Thank you, I feel better now!! And I'm sure my slightly pastel, Guam colors, ornaments will look fine anyway!

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 13

Aaaawwwwwww sorry you had such a hard time. Most of us don't care much for Wilton products and only use the,m when there is no other option.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 13

I'm sorry too. I like Americolor too, but use Wiltons at time. Sometimes it turns out fine, but other times......ahh well. I'm really surprised that since there are so many of us bakers we haven't seen colors like: sage, burnt sienna, apple green, etc. It would be nice to have more options, I'm so bad at color mixing, I have a terrible eye for it.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 13

I haven't had too many problems with Wilton's colors, except for the red. I'll have to try the Americolor brand though. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:50am
post #5 of 13

My cake supply store doesn't even carry wilton colors! Having recently started working with fondant, I use the Choco-Pan and since it's got chocolate in it, the wilton colors can't be used in it (per my cake supply store ladies) because wilton colors are water based ... and we all know you can't add water to chocolate and expect it to work right.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 13

I usually paint color right on to fondant to make it vibrant, but, you're right...the Wilton red is horrible...it's more like a BLAH pink, if anything.

However, my favorite set of colors is a spring mix of 4 pastel colors that Wilton put out a while ago. The blue and pink are staples for me. They are lovely. icon_smile.gif

DsLady614 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 13

All just another example of how a different thing/way works for everyone! Honestly, before CC, I thought Wilton was IT! I guess some of it is my own fault for wanting dark colors, but fact is, I DO! I am so looking forward to getting more Americolor colors!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 13

Not to be mean or anything, but I think Wilton is the sellout of the cake world.

You know how they say artists have sold out to the industry or how politician's are corrupt (Ahem...Illinois, JUST PLAYING), that's what I think of Wilton...

They're sitting in their company meetings like, "Oh, what else can we produce that doesn't work worth a hoot and charge an arm, a leg and a firstborn child for and sell to our hard working cake decorators? A piece of dental floss that's supposed to level cakes for $80? You're getting a raise for that awesome idea Bob, get right on the development..."Wilton's Super-Duper Cake Leveler, You'll Never Need Anything Else!"

They sell junk and the sad thing is if you're in a remote place like Guam or Germany or Japan (more military families) you have no choice but to settle or pay an outrageous amount in international shipping. It's a conspiracy!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 13

Before it was the sell out of the cake world it was the sell out of the bakery world.

Mom & Pop bakeries went out of business because they are penny businesses their profit margins extend only in pennies. Then when Wilton started catering to housewives, we put some nails in their coffin. Then the big box stores nailed in a few.

Bakeries have to have lunch counters or catering businesses or something on the side to survive. Just plain bakeries are dinosaurs. A few still roam, but not many.

So you are in a long line of folks that go way back who don't like the giant. But still it is a very successful marketing model. fwiw.

One thing I actually like to buy that is Wilton is the omg I can't remember the name of it again --the off white color--dang it--here we go again..I'll remember in a minute--ecru, no--candlelight, no, umm...

-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 13

And I always thought that color was stupid because you just need to add some vanilla to get that look --

Oh torture

If a cake is not white it is ________

Lemme freaking go look brb

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 13

ivory

-K8memphis Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:35am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

ivory

Why can I never remember that word!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!

Anyhow, yes I think the Wilton ivory color is awesome.

DsLady614 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 13

I think Wilton colors work ok for light colors, most of the time. But if you want a darker color, very frustrating.

Thank goodness for companies online who are willing to ship overseas! My cake world expanded way beyond Wilton!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%