Cookies Too Soft

Baking By rrmom2boys Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 11:50pm by rrmom2boys

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 4

I made NFSC just like I always make and the icing is getting harder, still needs to harden a little bit but the cookies are getting really soft, very bendy and they were not like that when I iced them. I have never had this happen. It is extremely humid here the last couple of days. Could this affect them and is there something I can do to make them harder?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 4

Hmmmmm, I doubt I can be much help. I don't use the NFSC recipe, and I don't live in a humid climate. But this will give you a bump, and I can put in my 2 cents.
It seems like the humidity would be a factor... ? The only time my cookies were too soft was when they weren't baked enough, but you said they didn't start off soft when you iced them. Was your icing watered down more than usual? Maybe the cookies are absorbing the extra water? I've had to quick dry my RI before by putting the iced cookies in my convection oven set at 125 degrees, so that the warm dry air would dry them out. You might try this by putting the cookies on a cooling rack and then into the oven so the bottoms can "air out". ?? Sorry I don't have more specific help. I wish you luck!

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 4

I am expriencing the same thing with my gingerbread men. They are so wimpy icon_surprised.gif . I am down in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas and the humidity is unbelieveable. All their arms and little leggies are bending and falling off. This is my gingerbread house recipe and is a pretty hard cookie. Forget the toffee making today!

Hope this clears up or I won't be done in time! icon_cry.gif

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 4

I let them air dry more and they seemed to get a little harder but they still are a little more breakable than I would like. The weather is suppose to get cold again on Sunday here so hopefully the humidity will drop. icon_smile.gif
I thought about putting them in a warm oven and good to know that will not completely melt the RI.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%