Does Anyone Use Winn Dixie Brand Shortning?

Decorating By ranbel Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 12:17pm by Sandy2008

ranbel Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,
At the grocery store today, I glanced at the ingrediants of W/D brand shortning. It has 2g of trans fat...

Does anyone use this brand and if so, is it good? Even though criso has not trans fat, I still use it.

5 replies
Someonesmommy Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 6

Thats what I've been using for the past 3 cakes I've done. I normally use Crisco but sent my DH to the store and he just grabbed the first thing that said shortening. I guess I should be lucky that he didnt come home with a tub of lard!

Anyways.....I can't tell the difference. But I also don't have that great a sense of taste either.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 6

I bought it on purpose because it had the transfats in it. What I did experience was that it had little granules of shortening that didn't break down. They were bout the size of a glass head pin. And there weren't many. Maybe I need to try mixing it longer next time. Other than that, it performed very well.

I recently noticed that WalMart has a house brand shortening with transfats in it. I am also going to give it a try.

Someonesmommy Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:15am
post #4 of 6

What is the benefit of having the transfat in it vs. not?

I saw a discussion the other day and was wondering what the difference was.

ranbel Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 11:57am
post #5 of 6

I've wondered the same thing.
All I know is the experts here that have been doing this much longer than I have, says the icing works better with it. I continue to use crisco and can't really tell a difference.
I have sugarshack's dvd on smoothing buttercream and she uses hi-ratio and I have to say, her's looks smoother/creamer than mine. I'm am satisfied with mine, but would like to try the hi-ratio to see the difference myself.

Sandy2008 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 6

It may work ok on cake, but don't use it on gingerbread if you are making houses. I tried it one year and had about 30% breakage. Needless to say, I changed my recipie and only buy crisco for the GB.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%