Help With Chocolate Dipped Pretzels, Please

Sugar Work By crisseyann Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 11:02pm by indydebi

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 15

I love the look of these and would like to make some for Christmas. I've purchased the chocolate and the add ons but need some guidance. I have searched all over the forums trying to find specific instructions. If anyone has ever made these, could you let me know how you did them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Cris

14 replies
stellaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellaz Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 15

Did you purchase the rods or the regular pretzels?

Either one, melt your chocolate, dip your pretzels (here's the difference) if you have the rods, only cover 3/4 of the rod in chocolate. If you have the regular pretzels, then you can dip the whole thing. Gently tap off the excess chocolate and place on parchment paper or wax paper. Immediately sprinkle on whatever add ons you would like. This is where you could also drizzle another color of chocolate if you would like. After the chocolate is completely dry, place in an air tight container or bag in cello pretzel bags.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 15

I have the rods. Thanks so much! You've been most helpful. Happy holidays! icon_smile.gif

Cris

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 15

Good instructions. Just be sure you melt your choco in a deep, narrow containeer so you can get the amount of the rod into it easily.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 12:04am
post #5 of 15

I asked the same question last week and there were quite a number of excellent responses. http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=611708&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I used a deep double boiler and spooned the chocolate over the rod as needed. (The chocolate level lowers as you work.) Use candy coloring rather than regular colorants- the water in gels and pastes will cause the chocolate to sieze. I cut the rod in half dipping the cut end into the chocolate.

crisseyann Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks so much, everyone! That was the information I needed. HOW to dip and coat the pretzel rods properly. I kinda figured using a deeper bowl would give the best results. I plan on using the chocolates I use for dipping cake balls (Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chips, ghiradelli milk and white chocolate discs) I don't plan on coloring them. Been there, screwed THAT up. LOL Thanks again for taking the time to give me your tips.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 15

crisseyann~ another thing I do when I'm dipping pretzels or anything else (other than the rods) is to take a plastic fork, crack off the middle two tines. Now you have a dipping fork that you can throw away when done instead of buying Wiltons expensive one!

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 15

Hi there, hope it's not to late for this suggestion. I just did some this weekend. I melted the candy coating in the microwave. Then I used a displosable decorating bag. I put the opened bag over a Pingles can and poured the chocolate in. I then dipped each pretzel rod in the chocolate, shook off the excess. then laid them on a piece of parchment.
This way I can dip the pretzel into the bottom of the bag and I do not need nearly as much chocolate. If the chocolate gets cool while I am working I stick the whole bag back in the micro. I then rolled the pretzels in peanuts, drizzeled caramel, and white chocolate. I bagged them 2 per bag and gave them to co-workers.

Sue

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 15

Adams gama, that is a fantastic idea!

vickymacd Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 15

I never thought of that idea either! How fantastic! Good thinking!

Now to go eat a box of Pringles!!!!

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks, I always have at least 2 Pringle cans around. I use them as a thrid hand when I am filling all my bags. Just drop the bag with tip and coupler in, stretch it iver the can and fill. No mess.
I used to also show my students this first night of class when I taught. It lightened the class when I told them they had to stop on the way home to buy Pringles and eat them before next class.
This method holds 10' 12' 14' or 16' bag

Sue

vickymacd Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 15

Now I'm confused.

Are you filling the bag to dip the long pretzels in?
Or are you filling it to drizzle the pretzels?

Or both?

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

crisseyann~ another thing I do when I'm dipping pretzels or anything else (other than the rods) is to take a plastic fork, crack off the middle two tines. Now you have a dipping fork that you can throw away when done instead of buying Wiltons expensive one!

See, that's why I love you cupcake ladies!! i lost my brand new dipping fork in a pile of presents hiding, but I have tons of plastic forks! thanks for such a great idea!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:12pm
post #14 of 15

I didn't really need an excuse to eat a whole can of Pringles, but now since I have one I'm definitely trying that. That is such a great idea. I end up spooning chocolate over mine because I can't find anything deep enough to dip them in. I'm so glad that you shared.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 11:02pm
post #15 of 15

That pringle's can idea is awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%