Fbct - Help

Decorating By Ritakk Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 5:54pm by Ritakk

Ritakk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritakk Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 7

I need to know what everyone is using for the outlinning of Frozen Buttercream Transfers. I do not have access to hobby lobby or any store like that, all we have is a Wal-mart and the grocery stores. Some have black colored gel in little tubes, but will that freeze? Need to make one very soon, I have been using just tinted buttercream with cocoa, but I want near to black as I can get. Thanks for any and all help.
Ritakk

6 replies
kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 7

I personally just use black tinted buttercream icing. If you just color a small amount, you can get it very black. I have also used the black Wilton icing in the tube. It is very black, but it has a tendancy to stick to the wax paper when peeling it off (at least for me) which is of course very annoying!! icon_mad.gif HTH!!

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 7

I also use black tinted buttercream. To make black I start with chocolate buttercream and then add black color. It doesn't take much black that way. I also keep a small container of this buttercream in the freezer so I don't have to make some with every new fbct. If you just want to do one fbct you might not want to mess with making chocolate buttercream and just go the all black route.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 7

I also make my black with chocolate bc adding black gel color.

Ritakk Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks all. I will get the black gel at the grocery store and add it to a small batch of chocolate BC. Hopefully that will work good enough! Thanks again all.
Ritakk

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 6:49am
post #6 of 7

Arrghh... I just used the chocolate fudge from the store (like the tutorial said).... kicking myself. Just checked on it.... not so great. Looks like it's sticking to wax paper. Everywhere else with buttercream is fine, outline and Diego's hair...yikes. I think I can fix it though after I get it on the cake. hmmmm, cake is due at 10am. it's almost 2am. it's been in the freezer for 2 hours. wonder if I should sleep and recheck early in morning, or just put it on and get it overwith now ??

Ritakk Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 7

Well, Mine flopped. I didn't get to the store that had the black coloring gel. So I decided to google the color black, and did you know that there is no black? All of the colors in the spectrum make up the color black! So I tried every combination of colors and started to make black! I almost came close, a dark army green/blue/yellow color! LOL! I had a little of the black color gel left, so I squeezed with all my might and got it a little darker, but guess what? The black did not incorporate into the colors, it looked like mecury, little balls of black mixed all in in! So anyhow experiment done, and failed! icon_razz.gif So I just wrote congratulations and Good Luck on a chocolate cake with white BC frosting. Not even gonna put a picture on her! It was terrible! But everyone ate it anyway, I guess you can't always judge a cake by its cover! Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%