Magazine Subscription Gourmet Vs. Bon Appetit

Decorating By Henna20 Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 3:54pm by MissRobin

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 4

I was offered a free subscription to either Gourmet magazine or Bon Appetit. I've never heard of either before and wanted to know if anyone had some advice as to which one to get.
Thanks!

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:46am
post #2 of 4

They are both packed with advertising. Many of their best recipes are posted on the Epicurious.com website.

However, if i had to choose one, I think I prefer Bon Apetit

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 4

I used to get both of these mags. Unless you do a lot of upscale traveling (which I don't), you're not going to get much from them. Lots of regional restaurant reviews.

As far as recipes, as JoAnn pointed out, most of them can be found on Epicurious.com, however, I think Bon Appetit contains more recipes that a home cook would actually make. Gourmet seems to pride itself on the outlandish -- like Smoked Gummy Bears with Beaver Liver Remoulade -- or whatever!

If you can, trade up for a scrip to Fine Cooking. thumbs_up.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 4

I would choose Bon Appetit! I like them for the holidays, I usually always find good recipes. In fact My favorite turkey recipe is from there! They also have a section in the back for quick recipes and they usually prove to be pretty darn good. My son's favorite pasta is one I got from that section! There is alot of advertising, which I don't like, but I guess they have to pay the bills! Ha! Anyway, JMO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%