Magazine Subscription Gourmet Vs. Bon Appetit

Decorating By Henna20 Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 3:54pm by MissRobin

Henna20 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 4

I was offered a free subscription to either Gourmet magazine or Bon Appetit. I've never heard of either before and wanted to know if anyone had some advice as to which one to get.

3 replies
JoAnnB Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:46am
post #2 of 4

They are both packed with advertising. Many of their best recipes are posted on the website.

However, if i had to choose one, I think I prefer Bon Apetit

DianeLM Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 4

I used to get both of these mags. Unless you do a lot of upscale traveling (which I don't), you're not going to get much from them. Lots of regional restaurant reviews.

As far as recipes, as JoAnn pointed out, most of them can be found on, however, I think Bon Appetit contains more recipes that a home cook would actually make. Gourmet seems to pride itself on the outlandish -- like Smoked Gummy Bears with Beaver Liver Remoulade -- or whatever!

If you can, trade up for a scrip to Fine Cooking. thumbs_up.gif

MissRobin Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 4

I would choose Bon Appetit! I like them for the holidays, I usually always find good recipes. In fact My favorite turkey recipe is from there! They also have a section in the back for quick recipes and they usually prove to be pretty darn good. My son's favorite pasta is one I got from that section! There is alot of advertising, which I don't like, but I guess they have to pay the bills! Ha! Anyway, JMO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%