Is There A Trick To Rolling Fondant Thinly?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 10:44pm by indydebi

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 7

Without using a pasta machine? I only have a rolling pin.

I'm trying to follow nati's shoe tutorial and I can't seem to roll my fondant thin enough. Any advice?

TIA! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 7

No particular trick, other than using a guide (sometimes called candy bars.) Those are metal or wooden dowels that are square (not round - they need to lie flat) that are various thicknesses. Put a rod on each side, fondant in the middle and roll along the tops of the guides until your fondant is a uniform thickness.

There are other guides that are rings that you put on the ends of your rolling pin that give the same effect - elevating your rolling pin a uniform amount off the rolling surface. These can be purchased at any decent housewares store.

Other than that, it's just elbow grease.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:00am
post #3 of 7

I just started working with fondant, and I just use a rolling pin, too. As mentioned above, lots of elbow grease. My problem is rolling it TOO thin .... I have to re-roll it lots of times because it tears too easily when I pick it up.

I switched to Choco-Pan, which is designed to be rolled really really thin, but I've rolled the Satin Ice really thin, too (like 1/8")

I read on here the tip about using cornstarch when rolling it out (not p.sugar) and wow, whatta great tip! It works great and I can just wipe the cornstarch off of the rolled fondant with a clean towel.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:44am
post #4 of 7

indydebi, do you use a lot of cornstarch?

leahs, thanks for that tip. I am using something like that but it's still too thick, just enough for covering cakes but i need it to be thinner for the shoe. Maybe I could find a thinner guide or something.

My main problem is it keeps sticking to my board so when i try to pick it up, it's ruined.

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 7

where can one buy square dowels? is there a place online?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 7

I"d think Home Depot or Lowes. Mine are metal.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

indydebi, do you use a lot of cornstarch?

No, just sprinkle some on my tabletop, add a little as needed to prevent it from sticking. NOt very much at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%