Gift Question

Decorating By cosmogurl Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 6:28am by Carolynlovescake

cosmogurl Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 23

Is it tacky to give gifts of homemade chocolates to teachers at my daughters school and include my business card?

Or should I wait for them to comment on them and than offer a card?
Laurie

22 replies
cookieman Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 23

I think a business card is a bit tacky and forward for a gift. If you really feel you need to attach something, how about a nice gift tag attached to ribbon with a holiday image on one side and your business info on the other?

Or, like you said, just wait until they comment and then offer your card.

sweet_teeth Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 23

I find it tacky. Maybe there is another way you can slide in the fact that you also sell these items.. such as wrap it in paper that has your logo on it? Hmm. I will try to help and brainstorm ideas for you!

I personally would take it is "You gave these to me only because you wanted to market your business" which is fine to do.. but do it more subtly. For example, I made a holiday Christmas cake for my work holiday party to show my outside or work hobby, with hope that people would inquire further (which they have!) and I have given them my information. Getting your stuff out their is key. If people are interested.. they will either say " these are so amazing that you should sell themm.. " which is when you reply "i do! icon_smile.gif"... or "Do you sell these..I know someone who would love these!" which you proceed to give your information from there.

Hope that helps!

tarheelgirl Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 23

I am doing the same for our teachers. I have attached a small ribbon to the top. I have little labels that say carefully prepared by: my biz name/number and I attached that to the very back of the box. It usually goes on top but for gift giving I just put it on the back of the box. That way it is still present on who made this goodie but not like an advertisement. And I will give a business card if they ask for it but only then.

cakesdivine Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 23

I always package it the way I do for my clients, All my packaging has a sticker of my business logo and contact info. If they don't know I own that business, they just think I purchased it from there, then if they liked it they call, and then I let them know who I am. That way, it isn't you trying to purposely generate business from the gift.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 23

I don't currently take orders but I like to slip in a business card because the recipient can feel more secure that way. Like if I drop something off at the doctor's office or the police department or something for a thank you.

Nothing wrong with that. It's assertive and confident. You do own a business yes? It's ok to act like it.

liapsim Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 23

I think it's tacky. I think that if your product is really good, they will ask you if you made it...which leads in to you mentioning that you own a business doing it.

That is how it works out for me, every year and I still have clients that were my daughter's prek teachers from 4 years ago.

Good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 23

I'm currently in retail. The psychology (didIspellthatright?) behind marketing is astounding. Regularly blows my brains out and I'm not very good at it either.

So I've had these really cool necklaces for over a year <insert sweating forehead smilie face> and I sold one dot dot dot ... dot dot dot. So I took them out of the packaging and rearranged them and Oh my soul you'd a thought I had the hope diamond on display--ok not really, but a leettle drama never hurt a storyline. And they have been selling.

So last year my high priced Christmas items every one of them went on 50% off. Dang it. This year with the economy in the sh*tcan I've been super hyper nervous about everything. I only bought two high priced items. Had them in the window dot dot dot ... hum hum tee tumm...So I put them on a table RIGHT BY THE DOOR so there's no way to avoid them--no way. Sold one in the first two hours icon_biggrin.gif Yes!

Put a card in there. Knock yourself out.

cakesdivine Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by liapsim

I think it's tacky. I think that if your product is really good, they will ask you if you made it...which leads in to you mentioning that you own a business doing it.

That is how it works out for me, every year and I still have clients that were my daughter's prek teachers from 4 years ago.

Good luck!

Why would someone purposely not package an item the way they do in their shop?

The only other thing I do outside of baked goods is fudge. People purchase my fudge all the time, and it is what I give each year as gifts to teachers, my mail carrier, and the UPS lady. I mass produce it in my commercial kitchen then package it for sale. It is all very professional. I gift wrap the item just as I would if I had gone into a store and purchased it. Like I said, if they know I own the company, so what, they know they received something hand made by me, if they don't know I own the company, they think I just purchased the item, and gave it to them. If they like it, and want more they have an avenue to order it with the information being on the box. My logo stickers incorporate my website and phone number. The fudge sticker also has the flavor of the fudge and an ingredient list as mandated by my state.

I do agree that the way the original poster presented the question that would be a bit on the tacky side. Giving a gift as a homemade item then slipping in a biz card is not a professional way to get the word out, IMO.

jguilbeau Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 23

How about including a discount card with the candies?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguilbeau

How about including a discount card with the candies?

No.

cakesdivine Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 23

I think as long as the packaging is very professional, does NOT have your name on the discount card (unless your company name has your personal name in it then it's okay) and it looks as if the discount card is part of the gift then that is acceptable. This way if the person liked the item and wants to order more they have the discount card to do so.

Wing-Ding Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 23

I think it would depend on who it is you are gifting to. If you think there's a potential for more business and this is what you desire, I would first try to figure out if the person/group would be offended by the business card. I agree with alexandrabill that you could possibly send the message that it wasn't a genuine gift, but I believe that would be with select people/groups.

I also like the suggestion of the ribbon with your business name and phone number. It's not tacky and you get your information out there. If people want it, they can keep the ribbon or write your info down. If not, they can trash the ribbon.

If you do plan to leave a business card with your gift, I would write a personal message on the back so it wouldn't feel like a business transaction.

CakesByJen2 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 23

I think can be okay, or it can be tacky, depending on the situation and how it's done. If you have a legal business and rountinely include biz cards or labels, then do so. If you normally label, it seems silly not to just because you are giving the item as a gift yourself. It should look professional, and somewhat discreet, so it's part of the packaging and easy to find, but not "in your face". I would have on the outside, in an obvious way, a little card with a handwritten, personal note, with no reference to the business. That way it should come across as a gift, not a marketing ploy.

tarheelgirl Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 6:22pm
post #15 of 23

I just left from my kindergarten party... there were tons of parents there. Well, of course I made the cupcakes for the party and gave both teachers there 6" cakes with the ribbon on the box. They were raving and I had parents ask for my cards after they tasted the cupcakes. So, I did not go in approaching it as advertising my business or anything.. the business came to me! I did put the label on all my boxes as I normally would with the red ribbon on the top as I do with all my customers. So I agree if your product is good then you will have them asking where or who made it which leads into advertising your business but in a subtle way! icon_smile.gif

cosmogurl Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 23

Thanks everybody for the tips.I guess if I had to ask, deep down I felt it was a bit tacky. I will use the sticker idea to close the box. Better than tape. I don't have time to do the ribbon idea but its a good one.
Laurie

Kitagrl Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 6:34pm
post #17 of 23

Sometimes I include a business card with gifts but usually I do that to make it more professional...I dunno, since I do it at home, I want them to know I regularly bake rather than just making homemade cookies or whatever.

liapsim Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:53am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by liapsim

Good luck!

Why would someone purposely not package an item the way they do in their shop?

The only other thing I do outside of baked goods is fudge. People purchase my fudge all the time, and it is what I give each year as gifts to teachers, my mail carrier, and the UPS lady. I mass produce it in my commercial kitchen then package it for sale. It is all very professional. I gift wrap the item just as I would if I had gone into a store and purchased it. Like I said, if they know I own the company, so what, they know they received something hand made by me, if they don't know I own the company, they think I just purchased the item, and gave it to them. If they like it, and want more they have an avenue to order it with the information being on the box. My logo stickers incorporate my website and phone number. The fudge sticker also has the flavor of the fudge and an ingredient list as mandated by my state.

I do agree that the way the original poster presented the question that would be a bit on the tacky side. Giving a gift as a homemade item then slipping in a biz card is not a professional way to get the word out, IMO.

Packaging it professionally is fine...just inserting the business card is the issue. I definitely think it should look nice....I'm not quite so sure I would actually eat something that wasn't packaged nicely! LOL!!!

indydebi Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:41am
post #19 of 23

If you bought them a box of Krispy Kreme donuts, would you repackage them in an unmarked box so they don't know what bakery made them?

If you bought them a box of Whitman's Chocolates, would you dump the chocolates in a plain brown paper bag so you are not advertising Whitman's?

If you bought her a necklace from Tiffany's, would you remove it from the famous blue box and put it in a plain white wrapper, or leave it in the blue box so they know where it came from?

If a client came in and bought a box of cookies or fudge from your shop, would you just automatically throw a card in the box or include it in the package in your normal fashion? And would that client remove your card before giving your cookies or fudge as a gift to someone? Would you NOT put a card in the packaging if you know it's a gift to someone because you're afraid it looks "tacky"?

I'm in business .... I hand my card to everyone. I had a fire at my store ... gave my card to the fireman and told him I give a 20% fireman discount. Got stopped for a seat belt violation a few days ago ... gave my card to the cop (after he was all done giving me the ticket, so he wouldn't construe it as a bribe! icon_redface.gif ) and told him I give a 20% police discount. I donated a cake and some cookies to a family in our neighborhood .... you can bet my card was taped on the box.

I cannot see how putting a biz card inside a box of cookies or fudge can be construed as tacky. I really don't.

Butterpatty Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:29am
post #20 of 23

My son is in college to be a teacher and he knows many active teachers. He asked them and they all said they would have no problem with a business card placed nicely on or in a box of goodies. Several said that they would be delighted to find a card to keep so that they could purchase goodies for gifts to others in the future. FYI- a business card can be turned into a sticker using a Xyron sticker-making machine (found at WalMart, AC Moores, Michaels, etc).

dailey Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:28am
post #21 of 23

i'm all for giving out business cards...just not as part of a gift to your kid's teacher. tacky

dailey Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #22 of 23

i'm all for giving out business cards...just not as part of a gift to your kid's teacher. tacky

Carolynlovescake Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:28am
post #23 of 23

I think it's how it's presented in there.

If it's tucked away subtly then yes go for it.

My good friend designed tags that go on all of her gift baskets. On the main side it's just like a Christmas tag with the To/From and on the bottom side is her store name, phone number and website.

She's got them for all occasions just like a floral shop. She said it was one of the best ideas she has ever come up with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%