Help Figuring Out How To...

Decorating By SeptBabyMom Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm by SeptBabyMom

SeptBabyMom Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 9

... make the Superman symbol on the top of this cake. How do you think the best way to do this would be?

8 replies
bashini Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 9

You can do it with Royal Icing. But I would do it with gumpaste/fondant mixture, as I'm not good with Royal Icing.

cathie_shinnick Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 9

I also think gumpaste ot fondant would work the best

lapazlady Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 9

I'd think gum paste would be the easiest, but, a run out of RI would be just fine, too. (The run out would be more fragil, so make a couple extra, just in case.)

Wing-Ding Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 9

If the rest of the cake is covered with fondant or gumpaste, I would use that.

MacsMom Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 9

Yeah, mix gumpaste and fondant together to make it easier to cut with an exacto blade while preventing from drying hard as a rock. Adding fondant will make it easier to cut the cake, unless it is removed first.

cupcakemkr Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 9

print out the symbol in the size you need it, if you can use thicker paper it would help. Then cut out the picture including the inside area around the S, use this as a template.
Place the template on rolled out yellow fondant/gumpaste and cut out the shape of the diamond background - then roll out red and cut out the S/diamond let them dry a bit then glue the red onto the yellow diamond base.

I hope that makes sense.

tonedna Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 9

That one looks like fondant or gumpaste.. You can use colorflow too.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

SeptBabyMom Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone, I am definately most comfortable working with fondant or gumpaste and so that's definately the route I will go. I wasn't sure how to get that exact shape, but I guess I will follow the advice to make a template and cut it with an exacto knife. Thanks. I can't wait to make this cake for my little man, he'll be 3 next month.

Quote by @%username% on %date%