Can I Use My Airbrush On Chocolate

Decorating By ChristineJ Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 2:27pm by mazz

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:26am
post #1 of 7

I am sure this question has been asked before, but when i mold chocolate, can I use my airbrush to decorate it?? Thanks to all.

6 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 7

I'm no expert on airbrushing, but I've used the two following techniques successfully on chocolate:

- melt cocoa butter and mix in candy colors for airbrushing
- mix a little luster dust with alcohol and use

Both techniques I've used by either airbrushing the molds before pouring in the chocolate or by airbrushing directly on the chocolate.

Regular food approved colors I've found just bead up on the chocolate.

HTH

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

I'm no expert on airbrushing, but I've used the two following techniques successfully on chocolate:

- melt cocoa butter and mix in candy colors for airbrushing
- mix a little luster dust with alcohol and use

Both techniques I've used by either airbrushing the molds before pouring in the chocolate or by airbrushing directly on the chocolate.

Regular food approved colors I've found just bead up on the chocolate.

HTH

I am also curious. What type of Airbrush do you use. Also, does using cocoa butter with an airbrush require anything different than using airbrush colors only.

Thank you for your help.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz

I am also curious. What type of Airbrush do you use. Also, does using cocoa butter with an airbrush require anything different than using airbrush colors only.

Thank you for your help.

I use the Aztek 4709 airbrush.

Are you referring to cleaning the airbrush? Cocoa butter takes a long time to solidify so I've never had it clog the airbrush. I clean it by using warm water, followed by airbrush cleaner, followed by more warm water. Not sure if this is overkill, but I've never had a clog. Hope I answered your question...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 7

I have airbrushed candy melts...it works okay but the color looks dull.Real chocolate may be a different story with the cocoa butter content etc...

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 7

You can also brush luster dust directly into the molds before pouring in the chocolate.

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for all your help.

Mazz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%