Simple Syrup Goes Bad Fast

Decorating By sweettoothmom1 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 3:22am by ILE

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 16

lots of questions. i'm a newbie. I use simple syrup with bacardi rum. (1) how soon after putting on cake can i put bc and fondant ? i was taught to wait overnite. will it hurt if i do it sooner? (2) after 2 days at room temp, it smells a little and gets a bit sticky, as if going bad. what am i doing wrong? (3) how long in advance can i make a cake ? (4) how long in adv if stored in fridge vs. freezer? thanks!

15 replies
alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:03am
post #2 of 16

if u store it in the fridge you should only keep for about a week and a bit and then make a fresh batch. i am not sure about the freezer... for some reason i am thinking it might not freeze because of the sugar content.. or it may crystlize...or something weird. maybe just make as much as u think you r going to need. and in my experiance, i only waited long enough for the syrup to absorb before icing

alliebear Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:06am
post #3 of 16

oh and it should always be stored in the fridge not at room temp

sweettoothmom1 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:10am
post #4 of 16

i usually decorate it the day before the event. i meant 2 days after the event, it seems to be going off a bit. that means its been out for 3 days or so, since after decor, it doesnt go back in fridge. is that normal shelf life ?

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:18am
post #5 of 16

I keep my simple syrup for approximately a month in the frig--I have never had a problem with it.

In regards to yor questions:

1) I let the simple syrup soak in for a few minutes while I tort my remaining layers; then I dam, fill and crumb coat immediately.

2) What type of bc are you using?

3/4) You can bake your cakes in advance and freeze. I have had cakes in the freezer for a few weeks with no problems. Make sure you double or triple wrap with plastic wrap, and I put foil over that. Others also put it in a freezer bag. I have stored cakes I am working on in frig for a day or two. The frig tends to dry out cake so I would not leave it in there too long, unless the recipe says to store it in the frig.

HTH

Sheryl

alliebear Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:20am
post #6 of 16

well normally simple syrup is supposed to be refrigerated. you really shouldn't store it at room temp. my guess is that because you aren't refrigerating it, it is going bad. to save you from having to make more each time you decorate, its best to keep the syrup in the fridge and refridgerated it should have a shelf life of a week to a week and a half.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #7 of 16

I use simple syrup with bacardi rum in it...I do store it in the fridge, but my Puerto Rican cake the longer it has the syrup in it the better it tastes, so I am wondering whats different. For the cake with the rum the more days the cake has the syrup with the rum the better tasting the cake gets. I usually have to make that cake 3 days ahead so it takes all the flavor..
Edna icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:35am
post #8 of 16

Simple syrup doesn't go "bad"... it molds. Is it moldy? (I see elusive clumps of threads before real, green mold) Then you're fine. Fridge prolongs the shelf life to at least a month.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 16

I keep my simple syrup sealed airtight at room temp for up to a month.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 16

Yeah, I keep it usually in the fridge but someitmes it gets left out. It almost never goes bad.

sweettoothmom1 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 16

let me describe how it is when i say 'bad'... a slightly different smell and when you cut a slice of cake and as u pull it away, it trails tiny strings of syrup behind, like a spider web. is that normal, 2-3 days after the occasion?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 11:05pm
post #12 of 16

whoa... that sounds like mold starts or super thick sugar threads. Does the syrup soak INTO the cake or is it gooey on the top of it? What ratio of water to sugar are you using? I do 1:1 by volume plus whatever flavor.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 16

Have you boiled your sugar mixture for at least 1 full minute before cooling then using?
There definately is something wrong from what you describeicon_sad.gif

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #14 of 16

My syrup molds also even in the fridge. I actually found this thread because I was going to ask about it! Who'd think that sugar and water would mold. Whatev. Glad I'm not the only one. icon_smile.gif

CIApastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIApastrychef Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:41am
post #15 of 16

If you aren't doing so, you should always let your simple syrup cool to room temp before storing it in the fridge. If you put something airtight in the fridge that is super hot, you run a very high chance of botulism or other bacteria growing in the syrup, because it hasn't been cooled correctly. I've made simple syrup hundreds of times following this procedure and have never seen rancid/moldy simple syrup in my time.

-Kristy

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #16 of 16

my cake with simple syrup and bacadi rum the more days with it the happy you feel after eating it.and the syrup in fridge last about 3wks.after 3wks i like to make new one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%