Fondant Or Gumpaste?

Decorating By inherownwrite Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 3:30pm by the cake whole

inherownwrite Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:13am
post #1 of 6

I'm planning to make my daughter's cake for her first birthday in February. I don't know what my theme will be yet, but after being inspired by all of the beautiful pictures on this site (you guys are amazing!), I'd like to include some little figures as toppers. I have a few questions. One, should I make the figures out of fondant or gumpaste? What are the pros and cons...or is there a difference? And two, how far in advance can I make the little figures? I have a 10 month old and a 3 year old, so I need all the extra time I can get! Thanks so much, in advance, for any help or advice.

5 replies
kandu001 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:51am
post #2 of 6

You can make them in just about as much advance as you would like as long as nobody will eat the figurines. Gumpaste dries much harder and much quicker than fondant. I do use fondant for my figurines though. I use Wilton's for figures because it's already made, dries hard as a rock and I don't have to worry about anyone eating it since it tastes HORRIBLE! Anyway, it's more of a personal choice which one you would like to use! Good luck and remember to post pics!!

icer101 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 6

just fondant will work great... make them as far in advance that will help you.. sometimes i mix 50-50 fondant and g/p... just depends on what i am making... if i need them soon... i let a small fan blow on them.. hth

bashini Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:33am
post #4 of 6

I would recomemend 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant. It will give you more time to play with it and get the end product you want. icon_smile.gif

inherownwrite Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 6

I didn't think about the kids trying to eat them if I made them in advance. My little boy is tricky...I'll have to keep an eye on him! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for all the advice.

the cake whole Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 6

I also use a 50/50 mix, as I find it sets up well but is still pliable enough for sculpting! I usullay do my figures a few days prior so they set up nice and solid for the top of the cake. For larger pieces I sculpt the characters out of rice krispies than cover in a fondant/gumpaste mix.

Have fun..... thats what it is all about! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%