Cookies For Kindergarten, Need Some Advice

Baking By SugarBakerz Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 2:52am by ElectricCook

SugarBakerz Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:20am
post #1 of 8

DD wants me to do the sugar cookies with the "sprinkles" like you get at the store... I am not THAT into cookies because I personally stink at them. The only sugar cookies I have really tried are roll out ones? Does anyone know of a recipe I can use that will make the the big round sugar cookies? Also do I put the sprinkles (jimmies) while they are hot? I know I sound silly, but I just don't know and I don't want to ruin it for her. Thanks!

7 replies
shanasweets Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:37am
post #2 of 8

I use penny's sugar cookie, it has almond in it, so it isn't as sweet as some. There is a recepe for Llike lofthouse" in recepe section like those found at store. Those you ice w/ sprinkles. I am not sure if the " jimmies will stick if placed before baking. I think sanding sugar will stick if sprinkled w/o icing. Otherwise probably need to ice and then sprinkle.

ElectricCook Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:29am
post #3 of 8

I reccommend the NFSC (No Fail Sugar Cookie) found on this site. Use parchment paper to bake the cookies on.

After you make the dough roll them out between wax paper, parchment paper or silicone sheets to the thickness that you want. Freeze them for a little while before you put them in the oven. You can use any cookie cutter that you want, even the round ones.

You can try brushing the cookies lightly with lemon extract or water to get the sprinkles to stick. You could also use colored sugar store bought or make your own. Do this after you bake them. For me the cookies work better when I freeze them. I go from the freezer to the oven with them.

NFSC is the easist to use. I love them and if you want to ice them try Antonia74 icing. Give yourself time make them.

For example: I need cookies for next Monday AM.

So on Monday I made one batch of NFSC and rolled them out, cut them out and put them in a container and froze them.

Tuesday I made a batch of Choc NFSC and rolled them out, cut them out and froze them. I put the cookies in the freezer in between rolling and cutting out the cookies to firm them up. I put a layer of parchent paper in between when I froze them. I makes it easier to just put into the oven and bake on them.

Thursday night I will make Antonia74 icing and let that set. You need a least a day after your put in the food for the color to deepen. The icing takes at least 1 to 1 1/2 days to dry on the cookies.

Friday night I will bake the cookies.

Saturday morning I will ice the cookies

Monday morning I will put the cookies on platters and wrap them to pass out later in the day.

I hope this helps.
This is just to give you an idea and not scare you into thinking that it is impossible. I just want you to give yourself some time to do this. Plan out your time and you will be able to do them.

SugarBakerz Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 8

thanks for the replies. I don't planning on icing them just sprinkling them... you know like the ones they have Great American Cookie Company.... she didn't want icing.. I think I will try these and see what happens. I am using gluten free flour, do you think it will make a difference? DD was just diagnosed with Celiac.

GeminiRJ Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 8

There's a place in town that adds an interesting twist to sugar cookies: when they are still hot from the oven, they brush on lemonade concentrate (the kind that you can pick up in the freezer section of the grocery store...nothing fancy) and then sprinkle with sugar. They're yummy!

stephaniescakenj Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 8

Yea I would use NFSC, roll it a little bit thicker and use round cookie cutters. its easier. I used to have a recipe for sugar cookies that you rolled into a ball and then rolled it in granulated sugar and baked it but I can't find it. As for sprinkles... I always put them on before I bake them. I don't brush them with anything, I just roll them out and sprinkle the sprinkles on, I've never had a problem doing it that way but it sounds like i've been doing it wrong based on everyone else's responses...

SugarBakerz Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 8

big fat failure, actually I should say super thin failure... had to be the gluten free flour. they taste awful icon_sad.gif.... guess I am going to have try something else. But thanks for all of the advice. The lemonade does sound diving brushed on, imagine it in pink icon_smile.gif

ElectricCook Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:52am
post #8 of 8

You aren't doing it wrong. I do it the other way because my cookies are always frozen before I bake them. The nest time I make dough I will try putting the sprinkes/sugar on them before I freeze them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%