Help Me Please!!!

Decorating By Sunbubbles Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 1:57pm by vickymacd

Sunbubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunbubbles Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 8

icon_cry.gif Ive been trying to search on the boards and look for some info. Can somebody please help me?

I live in Atlanta, Georgia. I'm trying to get my cake thing off the ground, but I have no clue where to start as far as pricing goes.

Id like to have a set staring price for cakes( by the slice ), cupcakes, and cookies (1 dozen). Any info would be greatly appreciated, or just your experience of how you began. Or if anyone just happens to find the links for something related in the forums..

Thanks for the advice in advance!

7 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 8

The absolute best idea is to vist a few bakeries in your area and find out what they are charging, so you can be competitive while not undercutting yourself or them. Visit places that will be offering comparative items, in other words, if you are doing 3D cakes, etc. DO NOT price yourself in line with WalMart and the grocery store, but in the same respect, if you are doing plain sheet cakes with very little decorating skill required, you aren't going to be able to charge what the local gourmet bakery does. Find places that are about your skill level and quality, and price accordingly. Good luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 8

And the usual questions:
You are inspected, licensed and insured, right?

Sunbubbles Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 8

Hey ladies thanks for the responses! No, Im not liscensed, inspected, and all that stuff. What Im thinking is I dont want a big business, just steady, like maybe 2 cake orders/month. Do I need to be liscensed for that? What would be the best way to start?

Thanks so much for your help!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 8

LOL, prepare to be eviscerated.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, Sunbubbles, you have to be inspected, licensed and insured. Basically what you're doing may very well be illegal. Providing food for the public is very serious business. Every time you sell a cake you are gambling that the person you sold it too won't find out you're unlicensed and won't sue you. If you do get sued be prepared to lose your bank account, car and home. If you are not licensed you have no defense because not knowing the law is never a defense. It's an awful big risk to put on yourself and your family.

Start with your local Health Department for licensing info.

Sunbubbles Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 8

Wow! Thanks so much for your help! Im going to the city health department building this afternoon to see what are the requirements for my area, so I can get this thing started right.

I appreciate all of the comments!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 8

This is just so sad that we have to worry so much about people sueing others, especially a person who bakes cakes! But this is this day and age. And I do understand it. Just glad I don't do this for a living.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%